    By replacing the ide cables with 80 wire instead of 40 wire all is working
    as it should and at amazing speed.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Dave Falls, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Dave Falls

    PC Guest

    "Dave Falls" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I began to have trouble reading music cd's and backing up or burning disks
    >would take for ever. Trouble reading RW's and general missbehaving media
    >drives unless they were forced to PIO only mode. This after migrating to
    >XP.
    > By replacing the ide cables with 80 wire instead of 40 wire all is working
    > as it should and at amazing speed.
    >
    > Hope this helps someone.

    Dave
    Can confirm your 'fix'.
    I had similar problems here on PC's with more than one drive on IDE2, PIO
    only mode included.
    I initially thought it was caused by marginal power supplies (lots of
    ripple) but once they had been replaced the ultimate fix was 80 wire IDE
    cables.

    In my case they were all running XP from the start so it's interesting you
    found your problems arose 'after' upgrading to XP. Must remember that, may
    be a 'timing' issue with XP.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 12, 2005