CD/DVD labels

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DVDfanatico, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    DVDfanatico, Jan 11, 2005

  2. DVDfanatico

    www1 Guest

    yes, look here: http://www.plsgoogleit.com

    (www.cdstomper.com)
    > are bad for DVD players? I'm just wondering if the extra weight will slow

    down

    www1, Jan 11, 2005

  3. DVDfanatico

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Yes, DVD labels are a bad, bad, bad thing. Avoid at all costs.

    A new DVD printer is $99. Buy one.

    Pug Fugley, Jan 12, 2005
  4. DVDfanatico

    Joe Blow Guest

    Pug Fugley wrote:

    > Yes, DVD labels are a bad, bad, bad thing. Avoid at all costs.
    >
    > A new DVD printer is $99. Buy one.

    I must agree with Pug here, though I desperately tried to convince
    myself otherwise, against the evidence.

    What I have observed is that DVD labels will not show their effects
    in most stand-alone players, at least not for a while. I have yet
    to observe any problems. However, I have seen playback problems with
    labeled DVDs in my laptop, which apparently has a more sensitive
    playback DVD drive.

    The story goes that the thermal expansions of the DVD itself and the
    label are different. This causes just enough warpage of the DVD,
    imperceptible to the eye even if you looked at the "hot" DVD, to
    throw off the laser as it tries to read the disc. The problem is
    more manifest for the data segments at the edge of disc, which I
    guess exhibits the most warpage.

    I tested this out for myself. I put in a burnt DVD with no label into
    my laptop and everything played perfectly. I put a label on that same
    DVD, a well centered one, and suddenly there were playback problems
    in the later chapters. I needed no more convincing after this. I
    thought this was a myth because my standalone player, a Panasonic RV32,
    has shown absolutely zero playback problems with labeled DVDs. Most
    engineers are of the opinion that even if the disc plays fine initially
    it will eventually suffer the effects of slight warping after repeated
    playback, simply because the repeatedly heated label continues to tug
    the disc ever so slightly until a certain threshold for corruption is
    reached. It doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with the label
    not being centered properly, something I've also verified for myself.
    It is not due to an imbalanced distribution of weight on the surface of
    the disc.

    I'm not ready to spend a hundred backs on a printer just to label my
    DVDs. I've opted to print those tiny "core" labels that run along
    the inner annular region that holds no data. Of course, inkjet
    printable DVDs would be preferable, but that's for you to decide.

    By all means, do NOT believe those who tell you that the adverse effects
    of standard paper DVD labels is a myth. For example, the Memorex labels
    sold at KMart, most *falsely* advertised as appropriate for CDs and
    DVDs, are to be avoided at all costs. They're fine for CDs though,
    since CDs aren't so finely tuned with highly compactified data.

    Look for an illuminating thread about this on www.videohelp.com

    JB

    Joe Blow, Jan 12, 2005