    drives, I doubt it's a problem with the hardware. Anyone have any ideas? It's
    gone beyond aggravating. I'm using Windows XP Pro on a P4 machine. Thanks.

    , Sep 23, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >I've posted about this in the past, but it's gotten worse. In fact, the fix that
    >someone posted for me that used to work which made some registry changes, no
    >longer does. The is, I put a CD in one of my two drives, click on the drive in
    >Windows Explorer, and all I get is a prompt to insert a disk into the drive. It
    >happens on both drives, one of which is a CD writer - DVD reader, the other is a
    >CD and DVD writer. I end up having to reboot the system whenever I want to use
    >one of the drives. I was once told that a poorly written program could screw up
    >the registry and cause these problems, which is why I used the utility that
    >someone gave me to change the registry. But I haven't installed any programs.
    >I've just been using the drives to write CD's or listen to CD's. Since it's both
    >drives, I doubt it's a problem with the hardware. Anyone have any ideas? It's
    >gone beyond aggravating. I'm using Windows XP Pro on a P4 machine. Thanks.

    Check the reg setting at
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

    Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
    (If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)

    (reboot for changes to take)

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=sud-IdjIV-o

    , Sep 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:27:12 -0700, wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've posted about this in the past, but it's gotten worse. In fact, the fix that
    >>someone posted for me that used to work which made some registry changes, no
    >>longer does. The is, I put a CD in one of my two drives, click on the drive in
    >>Windows Explorer, and all I get is a prompt to insert a disk into the drive. It
    >>happens on both drives, one of which is a CD writer - DVD reader, the other is a
    >>CD and DVD writer. I end up having to reboot the system whenever I want to use
    >>one of the drives. I was once told that a poorly written program could screw up
    >>the registry and cause these problems, which is why I used the utility that
    >>someone gave me to change the registry. But I haven't installed any programs.
    >>I've just been using the drives to write CD's or listen to CD's. Since it's both
    >>drives, I doubt it's a problem with the hardware. Anyone have any ideas? It's
    >>gone beyond aggravating. I'm using Windows XP Pro on a P4 machine. Thanks.

    >Check the reg setting at
    >HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
    >
    >Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
    >(If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)
    >
    >(reboot for changes to take)

    Thanks. I just checked and it's already set to a value of 1.

    , Sep 23, 2006