    Any help will be appreciated.

    TIA,
    Steve
    spam, Dec 10, 2004

  2. spam

    spam Guest

    More info on this problem. First when re-installing the drive there
    is an exclamation point in front of the CD drive in the hardware
    manager listing. If I continue to install the drivre an error bubble
    apears in the lower right saying the install failed.

    Does this mean the CD drive is bad?

    spam, Dec 11, 2004

  3. spam

    Jerry G. Guest

    It is very possible that the drive is bad, or the driver that you are using
    is not compatible with XP. It is also possible, if you are using a name
    brand machine, there may be a problem with the BIOS of the machine and the
    drive or its drivers. I have had combinations of these mentioned problems.

    I found I had the least problems with the well known name brands of CD
    drives. These would be names such as LG, Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, HP,
    Pioneer, Plextore, and etc. I am using some LG and Plextor drives in my own
    machines. I have been using the others in many of my client's machines and
    had very little problems. I found that in some cases where a particular
    machine was difficult, I would change the brand of drive, and this fixed it.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 11, 2004
  4. spam

    Fred Guest

    > More info on this problem. First when re-installing the drive there
    > is an exclamation point in front of the CD drive in the hardware
    > manager listing. If I continue to install the drivre an error bubble
    > apears in the lower right saying the install failed.
    >
    > Does this mean the CD drive is bad?

    Might still be OK. Have you tried a system restore?
    Try going back to a restore point from when it was working.

    Fred, Dec 11, 2004
  5. spam

    spam Guest

    The drive worked for a few years and then just quit. The problem I
    have is with out a working CD drive I can not access the Windows CD to
    try using the driver from there to replace the corrupt or missing
    driver on the HD.

    spam, Dec 11, 2004
  6. spam

    spam Guest

    Restore won't work. I believe this machine is full of Spyware that
    may be keeping the Restore from working and with out the CD Drive I
    can not load any Search & Destroy programs.

    This family has two computers and both are working rather slow. I do
    know their laptop is infected with "CWS_NS3 - Only the Best Hijacker"
    and will be a big project to remove. Sometimes I wish I never learned
    how to fix computers.

    spam, Dec 11, 2004