CD drive - vanished ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Advid, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. Advid

    Advid Guest

    I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
    them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC can't
    see the CD drive????

    The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data)
    then it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM

    NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead of
    F: as it used to be )..

    This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
    (using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....

    Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????

    Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running again....

    The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...

    Any advice most welcome.....

    Advid, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Advid wrote:

    > I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
    > them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC can't
    > see the CD drive????

    I don't know. Can it?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Advid

    JP Guest

    "Advid" <> wrote in message
    > I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
    > them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC
    > can't see the CD drive????
    >
    > The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data) then
    > it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
    >
    > NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead
    > of F: as it used to be )..
    >
    > This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
    > (using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
    >
    > Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
    >

    > Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running
    > again....
    >
    > The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
    >

    > Any advice most welcome.....

    Is it seen in device manager ? (right mouse button on 'my computer', select
    properties...). Is it showing driver problem there?
    If not, is it seen in bios? (whatever key you are told to press to enter
    setup when you turn on computer). If not, probably hardware issue, unplug
    the drive and replug, see if it's picked up then...

    -Jeepers

    JP, Apr 28, 2006
  4. Advid

    NBN Guest

    how much memory you have on this system?

    NBN, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Advid

    Upgradeable Guest

    Do all the IDE devices report properly at the initial BIOS boot up?
    You should see your physical drive C and the 2 CD drives. If a CD is
    missing, check your BIOS settings to ensure the missing CD drive is
    not disabled.

    "Given sufficient velocity anything can fit." - Mine

    Upgradeable, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Advid

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:39:05 +0100 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
    Yang then "Advid" <> sent this :

    >I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
    >them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC can't
    >see the CD drive????
    >
    >The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data)
    >then it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
    >
    >NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead of
    >F: as it used to be )..
    >
    >This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
    >(using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
    >
    >Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
    >

    >Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running again....
    >
    >The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
    >

    >Any advice most welcome.....

    Look under help for a,"System Restore" and try a point from before the
    problem.

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Advid

    GeofW Guest

    "Advid" <> wrote in message
    > I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
    > them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC
    > can't see the CD drive????
    >
    > The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data) then
    > it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
    >
    > NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead
    > of F: as it used to be )..
    >
    > This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
    > (using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
    >
    > Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
    >

    > Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running
    > again....
    >
    > The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
    >

    > Any advice most welcome.....

    I had a similar problem awhile back...first cd-rom showed itself as dvd-rom,
    then cd-rw disappeared.

    Took both drives out and down to local shop who tested them in one of their
    comps. Neither drive showed up.

    Concluded both drives had fried themselves.

    GeofW, May 1, 2006