    Win 98 by the way.
    Cheers

    ---

    Locutus, Jun 29, 2003

  2. On the crackling parchment of news:bdnm1e$9j5$,
    Locutus <> penned the following prose:
    > Hello all
    > I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format
    > and reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers
    > mustn't be on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on
    > another disk so question is how do I incorporate them into the boot
    > disk so I can get them loaded ?
    > Win 98 by the way.
    > Cheers

    Try a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com with CDROM support...should have the DOS
    mode CDROM driver (a standard Windows98 bootdisk should have this option, BTW).

    Or, given your name, you could simply tell the computer "resistance is futile".

    --
    Robert Schumacher
    http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schumachersforum

    Robert Schumacher, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Locutus

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:35:44 +0100, Locutus wrote:

    >Hello all
    >I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format and
    >reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers mustn't be
    >on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on another disk so
    >question is how do I incorporate them into the boot disk so I can get them
    >loaded ?
    >Win 98 by the way.
    >Cheers

    You can download a bootdisk here:

    http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/

    "Probably easier for you."

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000

    Mara, Jun 29, 2003
  4. Locutus

    Locutus Guest

    "Robert Schumacher" <> wrote in message
    > On the crackling parchment of news:bdnm1e$9j5$,
    > Locutus <> penned the following prose:
    > > Hello all
    > > I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format
    > > and reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers
    > > mustn't be on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on
    > > another disk so question is how do I incorporate them into the boot
    > > disk so I can get them loaded ?
    > > Win 98 by the way.
    > > Cheers
    > >

    > Try a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com with CDROM support...should have the

    DOS
    > mode CDROM driver (a standard Windows98 bootdisk should have this option,

    BTW).

    > Or, given your name, you could simply tell the computer "resistance is

    futile".

    > --
    > Robert Schumacher
    > http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schumachersforum
    > http://www.plastic.com

    I have got a win 98 boot disk which allows this however the drivers on it
    dont cover every type of cd drive and i susspect this is one thats not
    coverd but i'll try another boot disk just incase.
    Its the other way around at the moment the computer is telling me
    "resistance is futile". ; )

    ---

    Locutus, Jun 29, 2003
  5. Locutus

    °Mike° Guest

    Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?

    Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
    information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
    must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.

    The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
    cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):

    DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001

    Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
    in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
    drive letter you wish to assign):

    a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:35:44 +0100, in
    <bdnm1e$9j5$>
    Locutus scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2003
  6. Locutus

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:16:06 +0100, In this world we created "Locutus"
    <> wrote :

    >"Robert Schumacher" <> wrote in message
    >> On the crackling parchment of news:bdnm1e$9j5$,
    >> Locutus <> penned the following prose:
    >> > Hello all
    >> > I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format
    >> > and reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers
    >> > mustn't be on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on
    >> > another disk so question is how do I incorporate them into the boot
    >> > disk so I can get them loaded ?
    >> > Win 98 by the way.
    >> > Cheers
    >> >

    >> Try a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com with CDROM support...should have the

    >DOS
    >> mode CDROM driver (a standard Windows98 bootdisk should have this option,

    >BTW).
    >>
    >> Or, given your name, you could simply tell the computer "resistance is

    >futile".
    >>
    >> --?
    >> Robert Schumacher
    >> http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schumachersforum
    >> http://www.plastic.com
    >>

    >I have got a win 98 boot disk which allows this however the drivers on it
    >dont cover every type of cd drive and i susspect this is one thats not
    >coverd but i'll try another boot disk just incase.
    >Its the other way around at the moment the computer is telling me
    >"resistance is futile". ; )

    If the win98 floppy was made From the control panel it uses a,"RAM"
    drive that knocks the Cdrom drive letters down 1.If your Cdrom drive
    was D: it will now be E: etc.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 29, 2003
  7. Locutus

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:18:37 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
    <> wrote :

    >Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?
    >
    >Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
    >information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
    >must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.
    >
    >The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
    >cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):
    >
    >DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001
    >

    >Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
    >in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
    >drive letter you wish to assign):
    >
    >a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

    Incorrect.The BIOS assigns the cdrom drive letters otherwise this
    wouldn't work and does,

    Autoexec.bat
    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /dog
    Config.sys
    DEVICE=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /dog

    Try it and see ;-)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 29, 2003
  8. Locutus

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:28:16 +0100, in
    <>
    Shep© scrawled:

    >On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:18:37 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
    ><> wrote :
    >
    >>Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?
    >>
    >>Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
    >>information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
    >>must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.
    >>
    >>The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
    >>cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):
    >>
    >>DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001
    >>

    >>Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
    >>in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
    >>drive letter you wish to assign):
    >>
    >>a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

    >Incorrect.The BIOS assigns the cdrom drive letters otherwise this
    >wouldn't work and does,
    >
    >Autoexec.bat
    >C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /dog
    >Config.sys
    >DEVICE=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /dog
    >
    >Try it and see ;-)

    It's not incorrect. Mscdex can, and does, override any BIOS
    drive letter assignment with the /L switch. You MUST assign
    the same drive designation in both config.sys and autoexec.bat,
    just as *your* example does.

    I don't need to try it.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2003
  9. Locutus

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:49:35 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
    <> wrote :

    >On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:28:16 +0100, in
    > <>
    > Shep© scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:18:37 +0100, In this world we created °Mike°
    >><> wrote :
    >>
    >>>Are you talking about CD support for a DOS boot disk?
    >>>
    >>>Place the drivers on the boot disk and add the relevant
    >>>information in config.sys and autoexec.bat (floppy). You
    >>>must also have mscdex.exe on the floppy.
    >>>
    >>>The entry in config.sys should be something like (assuming
    >>>cdrom.sys is the name of the driver):
    >>>
    >>>DEVICE = a:\cdrom.sys /D:CD001
    >>>

    >>>Autoexec.bat MUST contain the *same* device designation as
    >>>in config.sys; something like (where the 'Q' in /L:Q is the
    >>>drive letter you wish to assign):
    >>>
    >>>a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /L:Q /M:32

    >>Incorrect.The BIOS assigns the cdrom drive letters otherwise this
    >>wouldn't work and does,
    >>
    >>Autoexec.bat
    >>C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /dog
    >>Config.sys
    >>DEVICE=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /dog
    >>
    >>Try it and see ;-)

    >It's not incorrect. Mscdex can, and does, override any BIOS
    >drive letter assignment with the /L switch. You MUST assign
    >the same drive designation in both config.sys and autoexec.bat,
    >just as *your* example does.
    >
    >I don't need to try it.

    You never do ;-)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 30, 2003
  10. Locutus

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 30, 2003
  11. Locutus

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 30, 2003
  12. Locutus

    Locutus Guest

    "Locutus" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    > I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format and
    > reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers mustn't be
    > on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on another disk so
    > question is how do I incorporate them into the boot disk so I can get them
    > loaded ?
    > Win 98 by the way.
    > Cheers

    Not having much luck so far. When the pc starts and goes through the dos
    screens it finds hdd primary master then cd drive primary slave ect ect,
    then on next screen in the white box where it tells about processor and
    drives I have noticed it says "Mode 3" next to Pri.slave disk: cd rom (I'm
    sure this isn't right ). Then it continues to the Windows 98 Start up menu.
    When I select start with CDrom support, it comes up saying
    "This driver is provided by Oak Technology,Inc...... so on, so on,
    Device name :mscd001
    No drives found,abort install.
    So that's where I'm at, can anyone please shed some light on this for me.
    Any help is as always much appreciated.
    cheers.

    ---

    Locutus, Jun 30, 2003
  13. Locutus

    Locutus Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:04:55 +0100, in
    > <bdpcfq$quc$>
    > Locutus scrawled:
    >

    > >"Locutus" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello all
    > >> I'm trying to fix a mates pc who attempted (unsuccessfully) to format

    and
    > >> reinstall.Problem is I cant get the CD Drive to install drivers mustn't

    be
    > >> on the boot disk however I have got drivers for it on another disk so
    > >> question is how do I incorporate them into the boot disk so I can get

    them
    > >> loaded ?
    > >> Win 98 by the way.
    > >> Cheers
    > >>

    > >Not having much luck so far. When the pc starts and goes through the dos
    > >screens it finds hdd primary master then cd drive primary slave ect ect,
    > >then on next screen in the white box where it tells about processor and
    > >drives I have noticed it says "Mode 3" next to Pri.slave disk: cd rom

    (I'm
    > >sure this isn't right ). Then it continues to the Windows 98 Start up

    menu.
    > >When I select start with CDrom support, it comes up saying
    > >"This driver is provided by Oak Technology,Inc...... so on, so on,
    > >Device name :mscd001
    > >No drives found,abort install.
    > >So that's where I'm at, can anyone please shed some light on this for me.
    > >Any help is as always much appreciated.
    > >cheers.
    > >

    > Have you incorporated the new drivers into your config.sys
    > and autoexec.bat, as I suggested earlier?
    >
    > Are you sure that the drive *actually* works?

    I don't f**kin believe it. I was told "O no everything works fine it was
    working yesterday.... just need to re install windows that's all" (Rant,
    Rant pulls hair out)
    Any way after reading Mike's last comment, I tried a new cd drive one that
    I new worked and guess what ..it worked. Thanks everyone for the input and
    big thanks to Mike. im off now to stick this knackered cd drive up my X
    friends arse.
    Cheers everyone.

    ---

    Locutus, Jul 1, 2003
  14. Locutus

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:30:58 +0100, In this world we created "Locutus"
    <> wrote :

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:04:55 +0100, in
    >> <bdpcfq$quc$>
    >> Locutus scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"Locutus" <> wrote in message

    >and

    >be

    >them
    >> >>

    >> >Not having much luck so far. When the pc starts and goes through the dos
    >> >screens it finds hdd primary master then cd drive primary slave ect ect,
    >> >then on next screen in the white box where it tells about processor and
    >> >drives I have noticed it says "Mode 3" next to Pri.slave disk: cd rom

    >(I'm
    >> >sure this isn't right ). Then it continues to the Windows 98 Start up

    >menu.
    >> >When I select start with CDrom support, it comes up saying
    >> >"This driver is provided by Oak Technology,Inc...... so on, so on,
    >> >Device name :mscd001
    >> >No drives found,abort install.
    >> >So that's where I'm at, can anyone please shed some light on this for me.
    >> >Any help is as always much appreciated.
    >> >cheers.
    >> >

    >> Have you incorporated the new drivers into your config.sys
    >> and autoexec.bat, as I suggested earlier?
    >>
    >> Are you sure that the drive *actually* works?

    >I don't f**kin believe it. I was told "O no everything works fine it was
    >working yesterday.... just need to re install windows that's all" (Rant,
    >Rant pulls hair out)
    >Any way after reading Mike's last comment, I tried a new cd drive one that
    >I new worked and guess what ..it worked. Thanks everyone for the input and
    >big thanks to Mike. im off now to stick this knackered cd drive up my X
    >friends arse.

    Leave the door open.Hurts more<grin> :O

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jul 1, 2003
  15. Locutus

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:30:58 +0100, in
    <bdqh5k$n47$>
    Locutus scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> Have you incorporated the new drivers into your config.sys
    >> and autoexec.bat, as I suggested earlier?
    >>
    >> Are you sure that the drive *actually* works?

    >I don't f**kin believe it. I was told "O no everything works fine it was
    >working yesterday.... just need to re install windows that's all" (Rant,
    >Rant pulls hair out)
    >Any way after reading Mike's last comment, I tried a new cd drive one that
    >I new worked and guess what ..it worked. Thanks everyone for the input and
    >big thanks to Mike. im off now to stick this knackered cd drive up my X
    >friends arse.
    >Cheers everyone.

    You're welcome.

    --