    Is that right? Or is it just a coincidence? Any hints about whats going on?

    Thanks in advance

    Gay
    brazen, Mar 14, 2006

  2. brazen

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in
    news:44174d05$:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > My cd drive is no longer working after I mistakenly tried to play a
    > dvd in it. The device manager tells me that it is working correctly
    > but it wont play a thing.
    >
    > Is that right? Or is it just a coincidence? Any hints about whats
    > going on?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Gay

    Start, shut down, shut down... wait till off. Unplug the power cable at
    wall or multiboard, from the pc tower you put the cd into, for 30 seconds.
    Plug in, turn on. Test again with normal cd that used to work.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 15, 2006

  3. brazen

    Jerry Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "brazen" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Hi guys,
    >>
    >>My cd drive is no longer working after I mistakenly tried to play a
    >>dvd in it. The device manager tells me that it is working correctly
    >>but it wont play a thing.
    >>
    >>Is that right? Or is it just a coincidence? Any hints about whats
    >>going on?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Gay
    >>

    > Start, shut down, shut down... wait till off. Unplug the power cable at
    > wall or multiboard, from the pc tower you put the cd into, for 30 seconds.
    > Plug in, turn on. Test again with normal cd that used to work.

    Aren't you supposed to give the box a kick before you turn it back on? :p
    Jerry, Mar 15, 2006
  4. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Start, shut down, shut down... wait till off. Unplug the power cable at
    > wall or multiboard, from the pc tower you put the cd into, for 30 seconds.
    > Plug in, turn on. Test again with normal cd that used to work.
    >
    > --

    Marvelous, thanks Dave. I had tried rebooting but not the full monty. You
    star!!!

    Gay
    brazen, Mar 15, 2006
  5. brazen

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in

    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> Start, shut down, shut down... wait till off. Unplug the power
    >> cable at wall or multiboard, from the pc tower you put the cd into,
    >> for 30 seconds. Plug in, turn on. Test again with normal cd that
    >> used to work.
    >>
    >> --

    > Marvelous, thanks Dave. I had tried rebooting but not the full monty.
    > You star!!!
    >
    > Gay

    Thanks 8)
    A reboot is not a cold boot, but known as a warm boot. It does not reset
    everything and as computer motherboards get more advanced it will reset
    even less things.
    Off at the wall fixes many problems that should then be investigated on why
    they happen in the first place 8).

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "brazen" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >>> Start, shut down, shut down... wait till off. Unplug the power
    >>> cable at wall or multiboard, from the pc tower you put the cd into,
    >>> for 30 seconds. Plug in, turn on. Test again with normal cd that
    >>> used to work.
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> Marvelous, thanks Dave. I had tried rebooting but not the full monty.
    >> You star!!!

    > Thanks 8)
    > A reboot is not a cold boot, but known as a warm boot. It does not
    > reset everything and as computer motherboards get more advanced it
    > will reset even less things.
    > Off at the wall fixes many problems that should then be investigated
    > on why they happen in the first place 8).

    Great advice Dave, I wouldn't have thought to try that. Thanks for adding
    another trick to my bag of 'em. :)
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)
    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 15, 2006