CD Drive problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rfdjr1@optonline.net, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 CPU, 2Gb RAM. Two CD/DVD drives.

    I'm trying to install a program which is on three CD's. The first one runs fine,
    then asks for the second CD to b inserted. I do so, click OK and nothing
    happens. I've tried it several times, on both drives with the same results. I
    had a similar problem a while back and someone sent me some text to type into
    Wordpad, then name cdfix.reg, to straighten out problems in my registry. That
    has worked fine in a couple of past instances, but doesn't seem to be working
    now. Also, the other night, I successfully burned five CD's of photos, but when
    I went to check each one to be sure the files were written, I was only able to
    see one CD. The next one didn't show up in Explorer. I had to reboot four times
    to check the otrher four CD's. SInce this is a problem on both drives, I imagine
    it's not a hardware problem but somehing in the system. I'd like to get this
    program installed, and also like to do away with the problem permanently. ANy
    ideas? Thanks.

    If it helps, here's what I was sent last time that doesn't seem to be helping in
    this case: It's saved as cdfix.reg and I'd run it when problems arose.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

    , Aug 9, 2006

  2. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 CPU, 2Gb RAM. Two CD/DVD drives.
    >
    > I'm trying to install a program which is on three CD's. The
    > first one runs fine, then asks for the second CD to b
    > inserted. I do so, click OK and nothing happens.

    <SNIP>

    You may already know this and it may not be of any use anyway,
    but I have run into instances where for reasons beyond my
    comprehension a computer had to be rebooted for the CD drive
    contents to be read correctly - IOW, you change the CD and the
    computer still sees the contents of the previous one, or
    garbage.

    Sometimes just ejecting it and inserting it again helps, but
    sometimes a reboot is necessary. Insane, but what else is new.

    thanatoid, Aug 9, 2006

  3. pcbutts1 Guest

    See if this helps. Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it
    into notepad. Save the file as cd.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure
    you change the save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved
    double click on the file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.

    Begin cut below this line
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
    "AutoRun"=dword:0000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "AllocateCDRoms"="0"
    "AllocateFloppies"="0"
    "AllocateDASD"="0"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    End cut above this line

    pcbutts1, Aug 9, 2006
  4. pcbutts1 wrote:
    > See if this helps. Cut and paste everything between the lines and
    > paste it into notepad. Save the file as cd.reg and save it to the
    > desktop. make sure you change the save as type.... drop down box to
    > all files. Once saved double click on the file to merge it into the
    > registry. Reboot.
    >
    > Begin cut below this line

    <snip>

    Don't do it.

    If it isn't stolen, it's crap.

    Butts is well-known for plagiarism and theft of intellectual property,
    as well as forging authorizations from vendors because none of them want
    anything to do with him.

    He is also well-known for not knowing what the **** he is doing.

    But then again, what do you expect from someone who isn't quite sure if
    he's male or female?

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
    that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:58:56 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <>
    wrote:

    >pcbutts1 wrote:
    >> See if this helps. Cut and paste everything between the lines and
    >> paste it into notepad. Save the file as cd.reg and save it to the
    >> desktop. make sure you change the save as type.... drop down box to
    >> all files. Once saved double click on the file to merge it into the
    >> registry. Reboot.
    >>
    >> Begin cut below this line

    ><snip>
    >
    >Don't do it.
    >
    >If it isn't stolen, it's crap.
    >
    >Butts is well-known for plagiarism and theft of intellectual property,
    >as well as forging authorizations from vendors because none of them want
    >anything to do with him.
    >
    >He is also well-known for not knowing what the **** he is doing.
    >
    >But then again, what do you expect from someone who isn't quite sure if
    >he's male or female?
    >

    >rl

    Well, thanks I guess, but your reply is a day late to do me any good. On the
    other hand, it worked and straightened out the problem, whatever it was, And the
    reply he gave me a few months ago also worked for me. Sounds like you have an
    axe to grind with this person. So far, he's actually helped me twice.

    , Aug 10, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:58:56 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> pcbutts1 wrote:
    >>> See if this helps. Cut and paste everything between the lines and
    >>> paste it into notepad. Save the file as cd.reg and save it to the
    >>> desktop. make sure you change the save as type.... drop down box to
    >>> all files. Once saved double click on the file to merge it into the
    >>> registry. Reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Begin cut below this line

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Don't do it.
    >>
    >> If it isn't stolen, it's crap.
    >>
    >> Butts is well-known for plagiarism and theft of intellectual
    >> property, as well as forging authorizations from vendors because
    >> none of them want anything to do with him.
    >>
    >> He is also well-known for not knowing what the **** he is doing.
    >>
    >> But then again, what do you expect from someone who isn't quite sure
    >> if he's male or female?

    > Well, thanks I guess, but your reply is a day late to do me any good.
    > On the other hand, it worked and straightened out the problem,
    > whatever it was, And the reply he gave me a few months ago also
    > worked for me. Sounds like you have an axe to grind with this person.
    > So far, he's actually helped me twice.

    I'm glad it has worked out for you.

    Nonetheless, all the programs he offers for download represent a
    documentable theft of intellectual property, and what he posted for you
    was very likely stolen from the original author and passed off as his
    own. Butts has a long history of doing exactly that.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_...81&as_maxd=10&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=2006&safe=off

    or

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50013B8D

    My suggestion to you would be that you exercise caution in accepting
    assistance from the first person who pops up. This is usenet, and no
    credentials are required for posting here.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:17:36 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:58:56 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Don't do it.
    >>>
    >>> If it isn't stolen, it's crap.
    >>>
    >>> Butts is well-known for plagiarism and theft of intellectual
    >>> property, as well as forging authorizations from vendors because
    >>> none of them want anything to do with him.
    >>>
    >>> He is also well-known for not knowing what the **** he is doing.
    >>>
    >>> But then again, what do you expect from someone who isn't quite sure
    >>> if he's male or female?

    >> Well, thanks I guess, but your reply is a day late to do me any good.
    >> On the other hand, it worked and straightened out the problem,
    >> whatever it was, And the reply he gave me a few months ago also
    >> worked for me. Sounds like you have an axe to grind with this person.
    >> So far, he's actually helped me twice.

    >I'm glad it has worked out for you.
    >
    >Nonetheless, all the programs he offers for download represent a
    >documentable theft of intellectual property, and what he posted for you
    >was very likely stolen from the original author and passed off as his
    >own. Butts has a long history of doing exactly that.
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/groups?as_...81&as_maxd=10&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=2006&safe=off
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50013B8D
    >
    >My suggestion to you would be that you exercise caution in accepting
    >assistance from the first person who pops up. This is usenet, and no
    >credentials are required for posting here.

    I don't understand the logic to this. If someone posts with a problem, and I
    happen to know the correct, say, Microsoft fix and post it, I am plagiarizing or
    stealing from Microsoft with my posting? Or if I offer a fix that was given to
    me by some kind soul in the past, then I'm stealing from the original author? I
    thought the point of this group was to come with problems, and hopefully leave
    with solutions. I've been here numerous times over the years and never once
    thought about where "the fix" was coming from, but being greatful for all the
    times they worked. Not trying to get into an argument, just wondering what this
    is all about.

    , Aug 11, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:17:36 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Well, thanks I guess, but your reply is a day late to do me any
    >>> good. On the other hand, it worked and straightened out the problem,
    >>> whatever it was, And the reply he gave me a few months ago also
    >>> worked for me. Sounds like you have an axe to grind with this
    >>> person. So far, he's actually helped me twice.

    >> I'm glad it has worked out for you.
    >>
    >> Nonetheless, all the programs he offers for download represent a
    >> documentable theft of intellectual property, and what he posted for
    >> you was very likely stolen from the original author and passed off
    >> as his own. Butts has a long history of doing exactly that.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_...81&as_maxd=10&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=2006&safe=off
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E50013B8D
    >>
    >> My suggestion to you would be that you exercise caution in accepting
    >> assistance from the first person who pops up. This is usenet, and no
    >> credentials are required for posting here.

    > I don't understand the logic to this. If someone posts with a
    > problem, and I happen to know the correct, say, Microsoft fix and
    > post it, I am plagiarizing or stealing from Microsoft with my
    > posting? Or if I offer a fix that was given to me by some kind soul
    > in the past, then I'm stealing from the original author? I thought
    > the point of this group was to come with problems, and hopefully
    > leave with solutions. I've been here numerous times over the years
    > and never once thought about where "the fix" was coming from, but
    > being greatful for all the times they worked. Not trying to get into
    > an argument, just wondering what this is all about.

    This is usenet. You can do whatever the **** you want.

    But pcbutts1 has been asked repeatedly by the rightful owners of various
    programs hosted on his site not to host those programs on his site.

    Further, stealing another person's work and passing it off as ones own
    is not what most of us consider ethical. Your ethics are not my
    business. All I can do is offer information. It's your choice whether
    and how to use it.

    I'm done now. It's all up to you. :)

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Aug 12, 2006