CD Drive problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rfdjr1@optonline.net, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Can't figure this one out. I have two CD/DVD drives installed. One is CDRW/DVD
    Read Only, the other is both read and write CD/DVD.

    I got a new program today and went to install it from a CD. First few tries, the
    CD drive wouldn't find the CD. I kept getting a message saying "G:\ is not
    accessible\ Incorrect Funtion. So I rebooted the machine and it found the CD and
    the first part of the software installation went fine. Then when I had to put
    the second of the two CD's in, I got the same error, Not Accessible\Incorrect
    Function. So I couldn't install the software.

    I then tried it on the second drive. Same thing.

    I ran into the same problem a week or so ago. I was making CD's of photos for
    some friends. They burned alright, but when I went to check them to see if the
    files wrote properly, I got those same messages as above. I could reboot the
    machine, and look at one CD. But if I tried another CD, same problem.
    The past few days, I ripped twenty CD's of music into mp3 files with no problem.
    Then today this Not accessible\Improper function thing crops up again.

    Neither drive is over two years old. I don't really use them that much. I
    checked in Device Manager and it says both are working fine.

    My system is a P4 3.2Ghz processor, 2Gb RAM and is run by Windows XP Pro. My two
    hard drives are SATA and the CD/DVD drives are IDE. I have to open the machine
    up to make sure but I believe I put them each on their own cable, which makes me
    wonder why when one is inaccessible, the other is too. I thought maybe the IDE
    connection had gone bad. And if it matters, the motherboard is an Asus P4C-800
    Deluxe.

    So that's my problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

    , Dec 30, 2005

  2. pcbutts1 Guest

    Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
    the file as cdfix.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change the
    save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on the
    file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.

    Begin cut below this line
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

    End cut above this line

    pcbutts1, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks. Can you tell me what apparently happened and what this fix does?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

    >Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
    >the file as cdfix.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change the
    >save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on the
    >file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.
    >

    > Begin cut below this line
    >===================================================================================
    >REGEDIT4
    >
    >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    >"UpperFilters"=-
    >"LowerFilters"=-
    >
    >[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]
    >
    >[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]
    >
    >[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]
    >
    >[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    >

    >====================================================================================
    > End cut above this line

    , Dec 31, 2005
  4. pcbutts1 Guest

    Badly written CD burning software modifying/corrupting the registry files.
    That reg file I gave you resets the settings to MS specs.

    pcbutts1, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    Okay, thanks.

    >Badly written CD burning software modifying/corrupting the registry files.
    >That reg file I gave you resets the settings to MS specs.

    , Dec 31, 2005
  6. Guest

    Thanks you sir. Worked like a charm. If you're celebrating New Years tomorrow
    night, first round is on me!

  7. pcbutts1 Guest

    You're Welcome.

    pcbutts1, Dec 31, 2005