    Why would the CD-RW take down the CD/DVD? Could it be a bad cable?
    The system has never been opened before.

    Steve

    spy, Feb 29, 2004

  2. spy

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:ijo240habc5o4s5cv7ghslji090bqc46u6@
    4ax.com:

    > Why would the CD-RW take down the CD/DVD? Could it be a bad cable?
    > The system has never been opened before.

    .... You removed the IDE cable with the system power on??? That is a
    complete horrible no-no.

    To answer the question above, due to how IDE drives work, having one bad
    drive on a cable can cause both drives to not work correctly or at all.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 29, 2004

  3. spy

    mark mandel Guest

    "daults (spy)" <@comcsat.net> wrote in message
    > I reported earlier about a problem a friend has with her CD/DVD drives
    > and another problem has occurred.
    >
    > The original problem was she lost the drivers for both her CD/DVD and
    > CD-RW drives (2 different drives). After doing a system restore the
    > drives were back, but the divers disappeared in a few days. After
    > several attempts to restore I gave up. Earlier someone told me to
    > check the cables to the drives, this worked. I removed the cable from
    > the CD-RW and the CD/DVD driver appeared, no reboot necessary.

    Are we to assume from this last sentence that you removed the cable with the
    PC on? Now THAT is very hazardous. Consider yourself lucky that nothing
    serious happened.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Feb 29, 2004
  4. spy

    spy Guest

    On 29 Feb 2004 05:22:54 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:ijo240habc5o4s5cv7ghslji090bqc46u6@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Why would the CD-RW take down the CD/DVD? Could it be a bad cable?
    >> The system has never been opened before.

    >... You removed the IDE cable with the system power on??? That is a
    >complete horrible no-no.
    >
    >To answer the question above, due to how IDE drives work, having one bad
    >drive on a cable can cause both drives to not work correctly or at all.

    I guess I explained that wrong. First I removed the cable with the
    power off, always work on systems with the power off. Let's see if I
    can explain things better. I installed a driver for different brand
    CD drive seeing I couldn't find what drive she had in the system, but
    it didn't work. When I removed the IDE cable and rebooted the system
    it never detected new hardware and when I removed the driver for the
    wrong CD drive the correct one appeared. It was like it was there all
    the time, but just wouldn't show in the list.

    spy, Feb 29, 2004
  5. spy

    Professor Guest

    If they are on the same cable and it came loose or went bad they could both
    go down.

    Professor, Mar 7, 2004