    and on their site it says that no drivers need to be installed and there are
    no drivers to install anyway.

    So what is the deal...
    dtriana, Apr 10, 2008

  2. dtriana

    Carlos Guest

    dtriana,
    It seems that you are having major problems with your PC.
    Yesterday you couldn't access your two old IDE drives and now it is the
    optical drive.
    I guess that, in the process of adding new hardware, there may be issues
    with the wiring.
    I am not that sure that it is a software and/or Vista issue.
    What is exactly "won't read any other cds"?
    Do you receive an error message?
    Do the cds seem to be blank?
    Do you have an antivirus?

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 10, 2008

  3. dtriana

    dtriana Guest

    Funny yes i know, but I did fix one of the hard drives I am not so sure about
    the 80gb drive. The wiring is correct. And when I say it won't read, I mean
    the cd appears to be blank. This is the first computer I have built on my
    own but I have read all the manuals and know what I am doing for the most
    part. I don't consider these major problems just learning experiences.

    dtriana, Apr 10, 2008
  4. dtriana

    Carlos Guest

    dtriana,
    Try this:
    and check whether it solves your problem or not.

    Now I wonder... How did you fix one of the hard drives?
    Please share that piece of info with the group.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 10, 2008
  5. dtriana

    John Barnes Guest

    FWIW Plextor drives are junk IMHO. I bought one when SATA drives first
    became available. It was very erratic. Read some disks, not others. Wrote
    sometimes when it was in the mood. I, unfortunately, started reading the
    reviews as they came in, along with a look at the page on Plextor's site,
    all of which showed that Plextor's drives have multiple problems with many
    motherboards. I have since bought NEC and LiteOn drives and have had no
    problems. The Plextor has been retired to the garage. NEVER AGAIN.

    John Barnes, Apr 11, 2008
  6. dtriana

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    I have also been using ASUS DVD drives with very good results.
    I believe they are re-branded Pioneer drives.
    Now I jumped to optical SATA with a Samsung/Toshiba SH-S203D.
    So far, so good.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 11, 2008
  7. dtriana

    John Barnes Guest

    Hola Carlos
    I have been using the Samsung Hard Drives for several years. Quietest
    drives I have ever used, and so far I've never had a problem with them.

    John Barnes, Apr 11, 2008