    Before I buy a replacement drive, is there anything else I should check or
    diagnostics I should run?

    Thanks
    JC, Dec 30, 2005

  2. JC

    bambam Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:47:48 +0000, JC wrote:

    > I've got an old IBM laptop with what appears to be a failed CD drive. Here
    > are the details;
    >
    > Device mananger says the "device is working properly"
    >
    > Whenever I put a disk in, the drive spins up (though at a fairly slow speed)
    > and I get the message "D:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready"
    >
    > In DOS, I get "not ready reading drive".
    >
    > I've opened the laptop up and nothing seems out of order regarding cables,
    > etc.
    >
    > Before I buy a replacement drive, is there anything else I should check or
    > diagnostics I should run?

    The only other thing to do is to delete the drive from device manager,
    reboot and see if it is detected. Doesn't look good though.
    bambam, Dec 30, 2005

  3. JC

    Plato Guest

    JC wrote:

    > I've got an old IBM laptop with what appears to be a failed CD drive. Here
    > are the details;
    >
    > Device mananger says the "device is working properly"

    That's not a reliable report. It only reports if win is seeing it
    "correctly".

    > Whenever I put a disk in, the drive spins up (though at a fairly slow speed)
    > and I get the message "D:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready"
    >
    > In DOS, I get "not ready reading drive".
    >
    > I've opened the laptop up and nothing seems out of order regarding cables,
    > etc.
    >
    > Before I buy a replacement drive, is there anything else I should check or
    > diagnostics I should run?

    Well, if after a dos boot and you cant read the cd, the most often the
    drive is toast.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 30, 2005
  4. JC

    Erick Pratt Guest

    As with the other 2 replies, I would agree that the drive is shot. You've
    pretty much done all the troubleshooting I would do here in the shop. DOS
    mode testing is definitely the nail in the coffin.

    Erick Pratt, Jan 2, 2006