    CD's removed? Or...opinions on whether or not it is even worth it to
    try and remove them (unless, of course, they are something beyond the
    AOL CD's that we are aware of)?

    Jeff, Nov 12, 2003

  2. On 12 Nov 2003 07:29:38 -0800, (Jeff) wrote:

    >I have an interesting situation...
    >
    >a 3 year old decided to place 3 CD's inside the CD-Rom drive and shut
    >it. He shut it using a hammer from his toy tool set. I find it funny
    >that he thought of using the hammer. An industious little lad! The
    >computer belongs to my boss, who is also slightly amused at his son's
    >handyman act. The drive door is shut pretty tight and can't be opened
    >gracefully.
    >
    >I suspect the only thing to do is replace the CD-ROM. Since they are
    >fairly cheap now, it might be the best way to go. I also suspect the
    >CD-ROM is pretty much shot after being forced shut with a small
    >hammer.
    >
    >Does anyone have suggestions on getting the door opened and the extra
    >CD's removed? Or...opinions on whether or not it is even worth it to
    >try and remove them (unless, of course, they are something beyond the
    >AOL CD's that we are aware of)?

    Did you try the tiny release hole with a straightened out paper clip?
    That directly accesses the physical mechanism.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Jeff

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    (Jeff) wrote:

    > I have an interesting situation...
    >
    > a 3 year old decided to place 3 CD's inside the CD-Rom drive and shut
    > it. He shut it using a hammer from his toy tool set. I find it funny
    > that he thought of using the hammer. An industious little lad! The
    > computer belongs to my boss, who is also slightly amused at his son's
    > handyman act. The drive door is shut pretty tight and can't be opened
    > gracefully.
    >
    > I suspect the only thing to do is replace the CD-ROM. Since they are
    > fairly cheap now, it might be the best way to go. I also suspect the
    > CD-ROM is pretty much shot after being forced shut with a small
    > hammer.
    >
    > Does anyone have suggestions on getting the door opened and the extra
    > CD's removed? Or...opinions on whether or not it is even worth it to
    > try and remove them (unless, of course, they are something beyond the
    > AOL CD's that we are aware of)?

    Ya know.. I have alaways gone by the old mantra- "If it doesn't fit, use a
    bigger hammer"... lol

    Replace the CD and take apart the old one to get the CDs out.... If he
    had to use a hammer to close the door, I do not think the paperclip will
    release the door.

    Ghost, Nov 12, 2003

  4. > Ya know.. I have alaways gone by the old mantra- "If it doesn't fit, use a
    > bigger hammer"... lol
    >
    > Replace the CD and take apart the old one to get the CDs out.... If he
    > had to use a hammer to close the door, I do not think the paperclip will
    > release the door.

    Maybe a paper clip, and an even BIGGER hammer :)

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    (Jeff) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have an interesting situation...
    >
    > a 3 year old decided to place 3 CD's inside the CD-Rom drive and shut
    > it. He shut it using a hammer from his toy tool set. I find it funny
    > that he thought of using the hammer. An industious little lad! The
    > computer belongs to my boss, who is also slightly amused at his son's
    > handyman act. The drive door is shut pretty tight and can't be opened
    > gracefully.
    >
    > I suspect the only thing to do is replace the CD-ROM. Since they are
    > fairly cheap now, it might be the best way to go. I also suspect the
    > CD-ROM is pretty much shot after being forced shut with a small
    > hammer.
    >
    > Does anyone have suggestions on getting the door opened and the extra
    > CD's removed? Or...opinions on whether or not it is even worth it to
    > try and remove them (unless, of course, they are something beyond the
    > AOL CD's that we are aware of)?

    The paper clip wouldn't work. I didn't think it would once I looked at
    the drive. The CD tray was knocked off it's normal track. I took the
    drive apart ( thus breaking the warrenty seal, but I suspect this
    damage wasn't covered)and found the last CD neatly hammered into
    position.

    I found a some broken plastic, which turned out to be a gear
    stop/limit piece. That little piece of plastic is what killed the
    drive. Using an exacto-knife, I had to "modify" one of the gears and
    actually got the drive to read a CD. Once I opened the drive and
    closed it a second time, the gear spun out of position, since the
    litte plastic limit was gone. Since there were 2 CD drives, I just
    unplugged the bad one, per my boss's request.

    Upon re-assembly of his PC, I saw something odd inside the floppy
    drive. Closer investigation revealed it was the 3 of Clubs. Apparently
    hammering CD's into place was boring, so the floppy was filled with
    playing cards!

    Jeff, Nov 17, 2003