CD drawer does not open

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MJP, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. MJP

    MJP Guest

    > Can anyone help me please. My CD-ROM drawer has suddenly decided not to
    > open. I have restarted the computer, but this did not help. I need to get
    > this CD out asap!
    > Thanks
    > Linda

    Right click the CD in My computer and choose the option "EJECT".

    MJP
    MJP, Aug 9, 2004

  2. MJP

    Bob Guest

    Most PC-based CD units have an eject button, which is a small hole on the
    front panel into which you can push the end of a paperclip. This will trip
    the unlocking mechanism and partially open the drawer, allowing you to open
    it fully. Make sure the computer's turned off when you do this - you don't
    want to be poking around the inside of a computer with a metal rod when it's
    switched on.

    Bob, Aug 9, 2004

  3. MJP

    Linda Guest

    Can anyone help me please. My CD-ROM drawer has suddenly decided not to
    open. I have restarted the computer, but this did not help. I need to get
    this CD out asap!
    Thanks
    Linda
    Visit my website at
    http://www.geocities.com/rossendalechildminder/
    Linda, Aug 9, 2004
  4. MJP

    Secret S Guest

    "Linda" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me please. My CD-ROM drawer has suddenly decided not to
    > open. I have restarted the computer, but this did not help. I need to get
    > this CD out asap!
    > Thanks
    > Linda
    > Visit my website at
    > http://www.geocities.com/rossendalechildminder/

    Look for a tiny hole on the CD drawer, or somewhere on the unit. Insert a
    paperclip or similar. This is a standard release for stuck CD drives.

    **SS**
    Secret S, Aug 9, 2004
  5. MJP

    Mellowed Guest

    I've come across two machines that did this, both HP. I was able to
    retrieve the CD by re-booting and pushing the eject button during the
    reboot.

    Mellowed, Aug 9, 2004
  6. MJP

    Unknown Guest

    Need not power off when using the paper clip on the CD. There is no voltages
    or anything dangerous near that paper clip hole.

    Unknown, Aug 9, 2004
  7. MJP

    Bob Guest

    Why take the chance of someone who signs themselves 'Unknown' being wrong?

    Bob, Aug 9, 2004
  8. MJP

    DC Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Why take the chance of someone who signs themselves 'Unknown' being wrong?

    I don't know, *Bob*. Why not?

    <snicker>

    OP: Do turn it off. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 9, 2004
  9. "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    > Need not power off when using the paper clip on the CD. There is no

    voltages
    > or anything dangerous near that paper clip hole.
    > "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > > Most PC-based CD units have an eject button, which is a small hole on

    the
    > > front panel into which you can push the end of a paperclip. This will

    trip
    > > the unlocking mechanism and partially open the drawer, allowing you to

    open
    > > it fully. Make sure the computer's turned off when you do this - you

    don't
    > > want to be poking around the inside of a computer with a metal rod when

    it's
    > > switched on.

    Electrocution is rarely an issue with computer hardware. The reason it's
    sensible to turn off your computer while doing the paperclip eject procedure
    is incase the drive decides it doesn't want to eject the tray and causes the
    mechanism to jam (this has happened to me before).

    Nowhere outside of the PSU (which should be sealed) is there a voltage above
    12v, so technically nothing is "dangerous" inside a PC. The danger really
    lies in breaking your expensive hardware.

    Kieran Simkin, Aug 9, 2004
  10. MJP

    nota chance Guest

    MJP wrote:

    >>Can anyone help me please. My CD-ROM drawer has suddenly decided not to
    >>open. I have restarted the computer, but this did not help. I need to get
    >>this CD out asap!
    >>Thanks
    >>Linda

    > Right click the CD in My computer and choose the option "EJECT".
    >
    > MJP

    If that doesn't work get a paper clip make sure your system is powered
    off straighten on a paper clip and carefull push inside The small hole.

    I have used this trick in the past. very important to have power turned
    off on your pc as not to damage the cd drive.

    The reason it is their in fact.

    I hope the other works first. use this if the above doesn't work to open it.
    nota chance, Aug 9, 2004
  11. MJP

    Reid Decker Guest

    You probably have found out by now, if not take paper clip, straighten it
    out, and push it into the little hole in the CD-ROM drawer front several
    times.

    Reid Decker, Aug 16, 2004
  12. MJP

    Michael Hims Guest

    You could also try opening the drive via the OS by right-clicking the drive
    and choosing eject

    Michael Hims, Aug 17, 2004