CD-DA to Wav to DVD as Wav files?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by makbertodelete@anothermessage.com, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello, readers!

    Could you please advise me on any sofware that let me create PCM Wav
    Files from CD-DA's (PCM 44/16), manipulate these Wav Files, to finally
    burn them onto a DVD Data disc? By "manipulate", I mean normalizing
    them, creting the 2 seconds standard "break" among them like in regular
    CD-DA's, or actually "joining" two or more of these Wav Files like in
    regular live CD-DA's where songs are continuously played without any
    breaks.

    Of course, I understand that I might need to change from CD-quality PCM
    44/16 to DVD-quality PCM 48/16 in order for the disc to work, but I am
    okay with that.

    One more thing, please. I am not interested in changing these WAV's to
    128 Kbps MP3's or 320 Kbps MP3's or anything in between. Why? Just
    simply because I prefer Wav Files. And I understand that 320 Kbps MP3's
    sound as good to human ears as CD-DA's. And why DVD's? Simply because I
    can place up to six hours of WAV Files onto each DVD. And six hours of
    songs on a DVD is enough for me. I am not interested in having 10, 15,
    or 20 something hours on a DVD, at least not for now.

    Finally, if this has been barely discussed on Usenet and on most other
    boards, yes, there are some standalone players that can play DVD's
    encoded with WAV Files.

    I hope to read from you soon.

    Best of the best,

    Carlos Albert Lacaye
    makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

    , Sep 25, 2005

  2. Exact Audio Copy will rip to wave files and normalize them.

    http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

    Regards,

    MM

    Michael McInnis Productions

    Michael McInnis, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Guest

    Hello, MM!

    Thank you! That's a step in the right direction. By any lucky chance,
    do you know if the normalization is made via "peak normalization" or
    "average normalization"? I cannot seem to find that information on the
    site, but I will keep reading or contact the author in case you don't
    know.

    Until soon,

    CA-L

    , Sep 26, 2005
  4. fred-bloggs Guest

    wrote in news:1127704972.634802.18700
    @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello, MM!
    >
    > Thank you! That's a step in the right direction. By any lucky chance,
    > do you know if the normalization is made via "peak normalization" or
    > "average normalization"? I cannot seem to find that information on the
    > site, but I will keep reading or contact the author in case you don't
    > know.

    EAC does peak normalisation.

    WaveGain does ReplayGain (equal loudness RMS) on wavs.
    http://members.home.nl/w.speek/wavegain.htm
    http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/calculating_rg.html

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Sep 26, 2005
  5. Guest

    Hello, Fred!

    Thanks for your help.

    As for I have been reading, quite some people think that ReplayGain is
    the best solution. However, ReplayGain is not supported by most (or
    all) standalone DVD players, so it doesn't actually normalize the WAV
    files while being played by standalones.

    Take care,

    Carlos Albert Lacaye

    P.S.: Yes, there are some standalone players that can read either CD's
    with WAV files and/or DVD's with WAV files! Thanks!

    , Sep 27, 2005
  6. fred-bloggs Guest

    wrote in news:1127803036.033864.276500
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello, Fred!
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > As for I have been reading, quite some people think that ReplayGain is
    > the best solution. However, ReplayGain is not supported by most (or
    > all) standalone DVD players, so it doesn't actually normalize the WAV
    > files while being played by standalones.

    Please read this
    http://members.home.nl/w.speek/wavegain.htm

    *Wavegain* performs the same analysis as ReplayGain but rather than
    writing the ReplayGain value to an mp3 header (which is the purpose of
    RG), Wavegain applies the level correction to the wav file itself. It
    adjusts the perceived volume of each wav file *before* you write it to
    dvd (or CD).

    ReplayGain matches volume on playback, which _would_ require RG
    compatability in the dvd player.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Sep 27, 2005
  7. Guest

    Hi, fred!

    Wow! That's wonderful news! But please let me ask you a "dumb"
    question, and I am sorry for my being a novice. Is it possible to apply
    Wavegain to many WAV files at the same time as opposed to doing it one
    by one?

    Thanks again,

    Carlos Albert L.

    , Sep 27, 2005
  8. NRen2k5 Guest

    On 9/27/2005 7:43:14 AM, wrote:
    >Hi, fred!
    >
    >Wow! That's wonderful news! But please let me ask you a "dumb"
    >question, and I am sorry for my being a novice. Is it possible to apply
    >Wavegain to many WAV files at the same time as opposed to doing it one
    >by one?
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >
    >Carlos Albert L.

    Yes. You can do so easily using the WaveGain frontend. It can even treat folders as individual albums, so that the entire album is adjusted by the same level, meaning any tracks that transition into one another will still sound correct.

    - NRen2k5

    NRen2k5, Sep 27, 2005
  9. Guest

    Hi, NRen2k5!

    Thank you kindly for your information.

    I ran into another problem. It appears that, after using WaveGain, it
    is not advisable to turn the volume too loud as it could cause
    clipping. Is this correct? As I am using mainly disco music, it follows
    that I will use loud music, at least some of the time. So I am
    thinking, could it be that this WaveGain is not the best solution for
    me? Also, normalizing by "average" levels can pose the same problem.
    Hence, I am only left with "peak" levels. According to what I have
    heard, "peak" levels is best to do within limits, say at 97% but only
    when it is lower than 95% or higher than 98%. What do you or other
    readers think of this?

    Before I close, I will not leave the WAV files on my computer, I will
    transfer them to discs to then be played on standalones.

    Laters,

    Carlos Albert L.

    , Sep 27, 2005
  10. fred-bloggs Guest

    wrote in news:1127828599.725803.73630
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi, NRen2k5!
    >
    > Thank you kindly for your information.
    >
    > I ran into another problem. It appears that, after using WaveGain, it
    > is not advisable to turn the volume too loud as it could cause
    > clipping. Is this correct? As I am using mainly disco music, it follows
    > that I will use loud music, at least some of the time. So I am
    > thinking, could it be that this WaveGain is not the best solution for
    > me? Also, normalizing by "average" levels can pose the same problem.

    If you use album gain on a whole folder of wav files and leave clipping
    prevention turned on you will not get clipping and all files will sound
    the same volume.

    More information in WaveGainManual.htm

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Sep 27, 2005
  11. In rec.audio.tech wrote:
    > Hi, fred!

    > Wow! That's wonderful news! But please let me ask you a "dumb"
    > question, and I am sorry for my being a novice. Is it possible to apply
    > Wavegain to many WAV files at the same time as opposed to doing it one
    > by one?

    > Thanks again,

    > Carlos Albert L.

    Wavegain can do this, as can Foobar2000 (whihc has replaygain built
    in as an option) . F2K also has clipping prevention (in case application
    of replaygain leads to clipping), and you can
    burn the replaygain/clip-prevented file to disc with the foobar2K/Nero
    combo.

    --

    -S

    Steven Sullivan, Sep 27, 2005