    put a recordable cd in the tray. Does anyone know what is causing this?
    Please help if you have any tips. TIA
    babs

    bb, Nov 23, 2003

  2. "bb" <> wrote in message
    news:nM9wb.11304$...
    > I am trying for the first time to burn (copy) a music cd. I bought a box

    of
    > recordable cd's at Office Depot for this purpose. When I put my cd's in

    the
    > trays and start the Roxio program to copy, it says my cd is not blank and

    > put a recordable cd in the tray. Does anyone know what is causing this?
    > Please help if you have any tips. TIA
    > babs

    You sure they are in the right drives? Are the CDs really blank?
    Check these out first and then use the CD utility in Roxio to test your
    CD-Rs
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Nov 23, 2003

  3. bb

    bb Guest

    I am pretty sure they are....I even tried reversing them to check that. The
    CDs should be blank as I just bought them and took them out of the package.

    bb, Nov 23, 2003
  4. bb

    IC Guest

    bb wrote:
    > I am pretty sure they are....I even tried reversing them to check
    > that. The CDs should be blank as I just bought them and took them
    > out of the package.

    Are you sure you got Data CD-R's and not Music CD-R's?

    IC, Nov 23, 2003
  5. "bb" <> wrote in message
    > I am pretty sure they are....I even tried reversing them to check that.

    The
    > CDs should be blank as I just bought them and took them out of the

    package.

    > > You sure they are in the right drives? Are the CDs really blank?
    > > Check these out first and then use the CD utility in Roxio to test your
    > > CD-Rs
    > > C.C.

    You didn't try to copy the CD using the wrong Roxio utility first did you?
    That could explain a lot. I've done this myself, used Direct CD accidentally
    and then tried to copy using the CD Copy utility and had no luck as the
    program 'knows' the CD-R is not totally blank.
    Other possibilities are....'incompatible CD-R and Drive, but unlikely...'not
    impossible though.
    Is your hardware all intact and fully fuctional?
    C.C.

    P.S.
    Which make of Drive and CD-Rs are you using?

    Champagne Charlie, Nov 23, 2003
  6. "IC" <> wrote in message
    > bb wrote:
    > > I am pretty sure they are....I even tried reversing them to check
    > > that. The CDs should be blank as I just bought them and took them
    > > out of the package.

    > Are you sure you got Data CD-R's and not Music CD-R's?

    That was what I was going to ask next! (I've done that as well!).
    ;o)
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Nov 23, 2003
  7. bb

    bb Guest

    Well, I WANT them for music. It says Office Depot CD-R Recordable, 80min.
    700MB. 1x-48x recording speed.

    bb, Nov 23, 2003
  8. bb

    bb Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean "using the wrong Roxio utility first". Do you
    mean putting them in the wrong trays first and trying to copy? I may have
    done that, because this is the first time I've tried burning a music cd.
    What is "Direct CD"? I think my hardware if fine; it's all new Dell stuff
    (WinXP). As an aside, is the top tray for the original on everyone's? Or
    does that vary from PC to PC? Just curious.

    bb, Nov 23, 2003
  9. bb

    Miggsee Guest

    Double-click My Computer, and look at the drive info. Take an audio cd, put
    it in the top tray, and see what drive has it listed in the open My Computer
    window. My burner is labeled as a CD-RW drive.

    Also, the physical fronts of the drives may be labeled. If one has something
    like 32x / 10x / 40x, it's a burner. My cd-rom just has 54x max on it.

    Miggsee, Nov 23, 2003
  10. bb

    Budweiser Guest

    my appologies if this seems like teaching to suck eggs
    1--are you sure you have a burner drive?
    you should have --as you say new machine etc and you have roxio--had to ask
    2-- you need to copy the files to your hard drive first not just select
    burn----copy to a new folder somewhere--umm music or what ever
    3--insert cd-r into drive -open roxio or what ever you use--burn image/files
    to disc

    you are going to make alot of new mug toasters as you get your head round it

    Budweiser, Nov 23, 2003
  11. IC wrote:

    >>I am pretty sure they are....I even tried reversing them to check
    >>that. The CDs should be blank as I just bought them and took them
    >>out of the package.

    > Are you sure you got Data CD-R's and not Music CD-R's?

    Aren't they one-in-the-same these days?

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 23, 2003
  12. bb

    bb Guest

    1. yes
    2. ok, I saved them to a file
    3. I inserted the cd-r, opened Roxio and clicked on copy ; I get a "insert a
    blank cd into drive" error messages

    bb, Nov 24, 2003
  13. bb

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:55:07 GMT, "bb" <> wrote:

    >> Are you sure you got Data CD-R's and not Music CD-R's?

    >Well, I WANT them for music. It says Office Depot CD-R Recordable, 80min.
    >700MB. 1x-48x recording speed.

    What speed is your drive?

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Nov 24, 2003
  14. "bb" <> wrote in message
    > 1. yes
    > 2. ok, I saved them to a file
    > 3. I inserted the cd-r, opened Roxio and clicked on copy ; I get a "insert

    > blank cd into drive" error messages

    Okay, it's gotta be either....
    The CD-Rs are bad or have something on them....
    Or are just incompatible with your drive.
    What brand are they?
    The Roxio version I have consists of about a dozen different utilities and
    it's easy to mix them up as regards which one does what, if you're not used
    with them.
    Direct CD is a part of the Roxio software and creates a virtual drag 'n drop
    hard drive on your CD-R. Windows sees it just as it would a hard drive,
    until you finalise the CD or session.
    There is a utility in Direct CD which can check your CD-R for errors and
    give you further info onany data which 'might' be present on the CD-R.
    As an aside, can your Writer actually Read a normal CD? Put one in the drive
    and see if it boots.
    If it can read, chances are it can write, but if it it doesn't read....'you
    gotta hardware problem. Hope not!
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Nov 24, 2003
  15. bb

    bb Guest

    I don't know, but it came w/ my Dell.

    bb, Nov 24, 2003
  16. bb

    bb Guest

    They are Office Depot. If you mean, can my drive play the music on the cd,
    yes it can. I can hear it just fine, but can't figure out how to make a
    simple copy.

    bb, Nov 24, 2003
  17. bb

    ramona Guest

    CD burning software returns error message indicating the CD is not blank
    media...

    I've experienced this problem when attempting to use a bad CD-R drive; were
    you able to write from source CD to hard drive using this drive?

    ramona, Nov 24, 2003
  18. "Champagne Charlie" <Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:BIcwb.257$...

    > "bb" <> wrote in message
    > > 1. yes
    > > 2. ok, I saved them to a file
    > > 3. I inserted the cd-r, opened Roxio and clicked on copy ; I get a

    "insert
    > > blank cd into drive" error messages

    > Okay, it's gotta be either....
    > The CD-Rs are bad or have something on them....
    > Or are just incompatible with your drive.
    > What brand are they?
    > The Roxio version I have consists of about a dozen different utilities and
    > it's easy to mix them up as regards which one does what, if you're not

    used
    > with them.
    > Direct CD is a part of the Roxio software and creates a virtual drag 'n

    drop
    > hard drive on your CD-R. Windows sees it just as it would a hard drive,
    > until you finalise the CD or session.
    > There is a utility in Direct CD which can check your CD-R for errors and
    > give you further info onany data which 'might' be present on the CD-R.
    > As an aside, can your Writer actually Read a normal CD? Put one in the

    drive
    > and see if it boots.
    > If it can read, chances are it can write, but if it it doesn't

    read....'you
    > gotta hardware problem. Hope not!
    > C.C.

    I don't know if you have the latest version of Roxio on your system, but if
    you haven't, you can get it on Kazaa for free.
    (So I hear! Personally, I wouldn't know as I never use it myself!) ;o) But
    they DO say that if you download KazaaLite....'it's safer and better, then
    search for Roxio Easy CD Creator Version 5. You'll get it there.
    Maybe your software isn't installed properly.
    You can get KazaaLite here :- www.kazaalite.tk if you want to use it. (So
    they say!).
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Nov 24, 2003
  19. "bb" <> wrote in message
    > They are Office Depot. If you mean, can my drive play the music on the

    cd,
    > yes it can. I can hear it just fine, but can't figure out how to make a
    > simple copy.

    Okay, the drives seem to be working.
    What version of Windows are you using, and which version number of the Roxio
    software are using?
    Is it the 'full' version? What does it say the 'exact' name of it is?
    Also, which part of the Roxio software are you using?
    There are settings in the program which must be taken into account as well.
    Have a look at these too.
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Nov 24, 2003
  20. bb

    bb Guest

    Version is WindowsXP home edition version 5.1. Roxio CD Creator 5 software.
    I am using the Disc Copier part of the program. On the Source & Destination
    tab it says E:Sony CD-RW CRX216E and on the Contents: It says in red,
    Please insert original source disc. On the Record to: E:Sony CD-RW CRX216
    E and on the Contents: it says Please insert blank disc.

    bb, Nov 24, 2003