CD burner didn't really die

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Awesome, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. Awesome

    Awesome Guest

    I posted the following recently:

    "I've been using an HP 8200i for several years now with absolutely no
    problems. Also using Roxio EZCD Creator 5 and Win98 OE. All of a sudden,
    the burner can't read (or write) CD's. The drive will open and close, but
    no whirring and an inserted CD shows "drive not accessible - The device is
    not ready" on Windows Explorer. Also the device manager shows "device
    working properly".

    Is it dead? Is there a way to provide CPR?"

    I thank all those that replied. The gist of the replies indicated that my
    burner was indeed dead.

    Upon further research, I determined that the reason my burner didn't read or
    write was a conflict between EZCD Creator 5 and MS Media Player 7.

    I had to uninstall MSMP and EZCD Creator - then reinstall EZCD Creator. I
    also installed an earlier version of MSMP until I can figure out the
    specific source of the conflict. As of now, everything works fine!

    Thought I would share this info with you.
    Awesome, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Awesome

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Awesome decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > I posted the following recently:
    >
    > "I've been using an HP 8200i for several years now with absolutely no
    > problems. Also using Roxio EZCD Creator 5 and Win98 OE. All of a
    > sudden, the burner can't read (or write) CD's. The drive will open
    > and close, but no whirring and an inserted CD shows "drive not
    > accessible - The device is not ready" on Windows Explorer. Also the
    > device manager shows "device working properly".
    >
    > Is it dead? Is there a way to provide CPR?"
    >

    > I thank all those that replied. The gist of the replies indicated
    > that my burner was indeed dead.
    >
    > Upon further research, I determined that the reason my burner didn't
    > read or write was a conflict between EZCD Creator 5 and MS Media
    > Player 7.
    >
    > I had to uninstall MSMP and EZCD Creator - then reinstall EZCD
    > Creator. I also installed an earlier version of MSMP until I can
    > figure out the specific source of the conflict. As of now,
    > everything works fine!
    >
    > Thought I would share this info with you.

    Nice one !
    Saved yourself $100 too :)
    --
    slumpy