    clash of software might be troubling my CD burner?

    The CD drive works fine in every other way.

    Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 17/11/2004 19:03:
    > Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without
    > warning. For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and
    > reboots itself, ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero burns
    > without a problem. Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt when the
    > system crashes, but other times it doesn't even get the burn started.
    >
    > I've uninstalled my old version of Nero and reinstalled a new version -
    > 6.3.0 but the same problem persists.
    >
    > Before I burn heaps of expensive shiny coasters I don't need, does this
    > ring any bells to anyone as being something obviously easy to fix? Or
    > should I just try uninstalling various applications to see whether a
    > clash of software might be troubling my CD burner?
    >
    > The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    Free harddrive space not sufficent

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Thanks for your reply. How could 4 gigs in one partition, 5 in another
    and 70 in another still be insufficient disk space? Plus 1 gig of ram.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 17/11/2004 19:18:
    > Thanks for your reply. How could 4 gigs in one partition, 5 in another
    > and 70 in another still be insufficient disk space? Plus 1 gig of ram.
    >
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 17/11/2004 19:03:
    >>
    >>> Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without
    >>> warning. For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and
    >>> reboots itself, ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero
    >>> burns without a problem. Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt
    >>> when the system crashes, but other times it doesn't even get the burn
    >>> started.
    >>>
    >>> I've uninstalled my old version of Nero and reinstalled a new version
    >>> - 6.3.0 but the same problem persists.
    >>>
    >>> Before I burn heaps of expensive shiny coasters I don't need, does
    >>> this ring any bells to anyone as being something obviously easy to
    >>> fix? Or should I just try uninstalling various applications to see
    >>> whether a clash of software might be troubling my CD burner?
    >>>
    >>> The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    >> Free harddrive space not sufficent

    Depends on where Nero puts its temp files and it likes contiguous file
    space for them as well so if the drive it uses is fragmented and showing
    lots of free space it might not be contiguous.
    But that is only one possible cause, nero is a very forgiving program so
    I am supprised to hear it has burped on you.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:03:59 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without
    > warning. For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and
    > reboots itself, ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero burns
    > without a problem. Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt when the
    > system crashes, but other times it doesn't even get the burn started.
    >
    > I've uninstalled my old version of Nero and reinstalled a new version -
    > 6.3.0 but the same problem persists.
    >
    > Before I burn heaps of expensive shiny coasters I don't need, does this
    > ring any bells to anyone as being something obviously easy to fix? Or
    > should I just try uninstalling various applications to see whether a
    > clash of software might be troubling my CD burner?
    >
    > The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    Wont solve your problem but may help diagnose it.
    There is a setting in XP (assuming XP) to automatically reboot instead of
    blu screen of death, if you get a blue screen the information may give you
    something to go from.

    Bret, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Mrs Beeble Brock

    frederick Guest

    "Mrs Beeble Brock" <> wrote in message
    > Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without warning.
    > For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and reboots itself,
    > ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero burns without a problem.
    > Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt when the system crashes, but other
    > times it doesn't even get the burn started.
    >
    > I've uninstalled my old version of Nero and reinstalled a new version - 6.3.0
    > but the same problem persists.
    >
    > Before I burn heaps of expensive shiny coasters I don't need, does this ring
    > any bells to anyone as being something obviously easy to fix? Or should I just
    > try uninstalling various applications to see whether a clash of software might
    > be troubling my CD burner?
    >
    > The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    Possibly system shutting down / rebooting because of CPU overheating. It is the
    time of year for it. Check CPU temperature and BIOS setting for protection
    temperature, and make sure it is set correctly for the CPU. If so, possible
    fix is to clean CPU heat sink / fan etc.

    frederick, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly it's Win 2000. Looks like I'll be using
    lots of disks ...

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Thanks for the suggestion. The CPU and therefore fan is very new, but
    I'll talk to the guy who built it and see what he says.
    Cheers,

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Nov 17, 2004
  9. Mrs Beeble Brock

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without
    >warning. For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and
    >reboots itself, ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero burns
    >without a problem. Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt when the
    >system crashes, but other times it doesn't even get the burn started.
    >
    >I've uninstalled my old version of Nero and reinstalled a new version -
    >6.3.0 but the same problem persists.
    >
    >Before I burn heaps of expensive shiny coasters I don't need, does this
    >ring any bells to anyone as being something obviously easy to fix? Or
    >should I just try uninstalling various applications to see whether a
    >clash of software might be troubling my CD burner?
    >
    >The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    Power supply sufficient? What rating is your PSU and what other
    hardware do you have?

    GraB, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Richard Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    Update the drivers for the IDE controller that the dvd burner is attached to.

    Richard, Nov 17, 2004
  11. Thanks - I'll give that a go.
    Cheers,

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Nov 17, 2004

  12. >
    > Power supply sufficient? What rating is your PSU and what other
    > hardware do you have?

    Newly acquired gadgets in the last couple of weeks are a Kodak
    Easy-Share camera and flashdrive/MP3 player - both USB. Neither have
    been connected when this problem has happened. I did install a new MS
    mouse but it used the same drivers as my existing Explorer mouse.
    Nothing else new in hardware or software.

    I do have sudden reboots and crashes at other times when not burning
    disks but haven't had the blue screen of death since I installed
    additional ram a month ago.

    Sorry, I don't know how to tell you my PSU rating.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Nov 17, 2004
  13. Mrs Beeble Brock

    maz Guest

    > Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without
    > warning. For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and
    > reboots itself, ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero burns
    > without a problem. Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt when the
    > system crashes, but other times it doesn't even get the burn started.
    >
    > I've uninstalled my old version of Nero and reinstalled a new version -
    > 6.3.0 but the same problem persists.
    >
    > Before I burn heaps of expensive shiny coasters I don't need, does this
    > ring any bells to anyone as being something obviously easy to fix? Or
    > should I just try uninstalling various applications to see whether a
    > clash of software might be troubling my CD burner?
    >
    > The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    Have you done a google search for the problem, as it is possibiliy posted in
    a nero forum somewhere.

    maz, Nov 17, 2004
  14. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    Nov 2004 19:27:31 +1300, Bret <> says...
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:03:59 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    >
    > > Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without
    > > warning. For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and
    > > reboots itself, ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero burns
    > > without a problem. Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt when the
    > > system crashes, but other times it doesn't even get the burn started.
    > >
    > > I've uninstalled my old version of Nero and reinstalled a new version -
    > > 6.3.0 but the same problem persists.
    > >
    > > Before I burn heaps of expensive shiny coasters I don't need, does this
    > > ring any bells to anyone as being something obviously easy to fix? Or
    > > should I just try uninstalling various applications to see whether a
    > > clash of software might be troubling my CD burner?
    > >
    > > The CD drive works fine in every other way.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

    > Wont solve your problem but may help diagnose it.
    > There is a setting in XP (assuming XP) to automatically reboot instead of
    > blu screen of death, if you get a blue screen the information may give you
    > something to go from.

    There is an SP2 incompatibility with some versions of Nero by the way.
    Updates have been released on the Nero website.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  15. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Bok Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly it's Win 2000. Looks like I'll be using
    > lots of disks ...
    >
    > Bret wrote:
    >> Wont solve your problem but may help diagnose it.
    >> There is a setting in XP (assuming XP) to automatically reboot instead of
    >> blu screen of death, if you get a blue screen the information may give
    >> you something to go from.

    Actually Win2K has the same option.

    You can check/modify this from MyComputer
    - right click
    - select properties
    - Advanced tab
    - Startup & Recovery options

    Uncheck the option to automatically restart on system failure (if checked).

    Next time the system enocunters a serious fault you should get the
    classic BSOD with information similar to the following:

    *** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xFDE38AF9, 0x00000001, 0x7E8B0EB4)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ***

    That gives you something to google for or you could post the relevant
    info here - someone might be able to help. It's often enough to
    distinguish between hardware and device driver issues for example.

    Depending in the stop code the information displayed below this might be
    helpful. For example there is usually a list of file names with .sys or
    ..dll extensions and some numbers (call stack). This shows the libraries
    and device drivers involved in the fault.

    Bok, Nov 17, 2004
  16. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Bok Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi again, this is a problem that kicked in a few weeks ago without
    > warning. For some reason when I burn a CD with Nero my PC crashes and
    > reboots itself, ruining the disk in the drive. After a reboot Nero burns
    > without a problem. Sometimes the disk will get up to 60% burnt when the
    > system crashes, but other times it doesn't even get the burn started.

    Can you think of anything that has changed on your system or the way you
    use it prior to this starting to occur? e.g. any hardware changes, or
    software installs including windows hotfixes, service packs upgrades to
    Nero etc. Even obscure things like changing the brand / type of CD you
    are using might be relevant.

    Bok, Nov 17, 2004
  17. Mrs Beeble Brock

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:27:40 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock
    <> wrote:

    >> Power supply sufficient? What rating is your PSU and what other
    >> hardware do you have?

    >Newly acquired gadgets in the last couple of weeks are a Kodak
    >Easy-Share camera and flashdrive/MP3 player - both USB. Neither have
    >been connected when this problem has happened. I did install a new MS
    >mouse but it used the same drivers as my existing Explorer mouse.
    >Nothing else new in hardware or software.
    >
    >I do have sudden reboots and crashes at other times when not burning
    >disks but haven't had the blue screen of death since I installed
    >additional ram a month ago.
    >
    >Sorry, I don't know how to tell you my PSU rating.

    Thought you might be operating on the edge of your power supply
    capacity, crashing when burning CDs, but perhaps not. It usually
    involves manually pulling out the PSU and reading the label. Some
    people get caught with inadequate PSUs when they have been
    incrementally upgrading their PC over some years, forgetting about the
    extra drain of added hardware. Then the PSU lets go with catastrophic
    results. Some PCs came with only a 200W PSU, adequate for an
    all-integrated mobo, one hard drive, one optical drive, but people add
    extra RAM, another hard drive, upgrade the CPU, add another optical
    drive, DVD, etc, upgraded video card, extra fan or three, TV capture
    card, etc.

    GraB, Nov 17, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:38:20 +1300, GraB <> says...
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:27:40 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >> Power supply sufficient? What rating is your PSU and what other
    > >> hardware do you have?

    > >Newly acquired gadgets in the last couple of weeks are a Kodak
    > >Easy-Share camera and flashdrive/MP3 player - both USB. Neither have
    > >been connected when this problem has happened. I did install a new MS
    > >mouse but it used the same drivers as my existing Explorer mouse.
    > >Nothing else new in hardware or software.
    > >
    > >I do have sudden reboots and crashes at other times when not burning
    > >disks but haven't had the blue screen of death since I installed
    > >additional ram a month ago.
    > >
    > >Sorry, I don't know how to tell you my PSU rating.

    > Thought you might be operating on the edge of your power supply
    > capacity, crashing when burning CDs, but perhaps not. It usually
    > involves manually pulling out the PSU and reading the label. Some
    > people get caught with inadequate PSUs when they have been
    > incrementally upgrading their PC over some years, forgetting about the
    > extra drain of added hardware. Then the PSU lets go with catastrophic
    > results. Some PCs came with only a 200W PSU,

    Some only came with 90 or 135W (typical for small form factor computers).

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004