    Beth M. Guest

    will work in one stereo, but not another

    any thoughts?

    Beth M., Dec 31, 2005

  2. Beth M.

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Sat, 31 Dec 2005 03:31:38 GMT,
    in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Beth M."
    <> spewed the following:

    |will work in one stereo, but not another
    |
    |any thoughts?

    Some CD players will not play a burned CD.
    --

    -nos1eep

    One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theory”
    to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd
    of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when
    the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back
    that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd
    as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group
    keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In
    much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
    slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know,
    kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest
    brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer
    eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and
    more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after
    a few beers.

    nos1eep, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Beth M.

    Fakename Guest

    The offending stereo doesn't like the media. (home made disks are
    literally burned, where as factory made disks are pressed). Try
    different media. But it could be that the one stereo just won't play
    burned disks, as is sometimes the case.

    Fakename, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Beth M.

    Erick Pratt Guest

    Both previous replies were correct.Also, try burning the disk at a slower
    speed (such as 8x, which usually works in most every CD player out there).
    Burning at higher speeds does not allow the laser to burn quite as "deep" as
    at a slower speed, thus making it harder for some older players to read the
    disk.

    Erick Pratt, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Beth M.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Beth M. wrote:
    > will work in one stereo, but not another
    >
    > any thoughts?

    Was the CD burned as an audio CD or as an MP3 CD. Some stereos will
    not play MP3.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Beth M.

    Beth M. Guest

    "Erick Pratt" <> wrote in message
    > Both previous replies were correct.Also, try burning the disk at a slower
    > speed (such as 8x, which usually works in most every CD player out there).
    > Burning at higher speeds does not allow the laser to burn quite as "deep"
    > as
    > at a slower speed, thus making it harder for some older players to read
    > the
    > disk.

    How do you set it to burn slower? I use both the burner in windows media
    and I also use Sonic Record Now that comes with Dell. In neither do I see
    any way I can change burn settings.

    Beth M., Jan 2, 2006
  7. Beth M.

    Beth M. Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote
    > Was the CD burned as an audio CD or as an MP3 CD. Some stereos will not
    > play MP3.

    I burned it as an audio CD

    Beth M., Jan 2, 2006
  8. Beth M.

    Erick Pratt Guest

    It will be in the advanced settings. If you do not have access to them, you
    will need to purchase a retail burning application such as Nero.

    Erick Pratt, Jan 2, 2006
  9. Beth M.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Beth M. wrote:
    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote
    >
    >>Was the CD burned as an audio CD or as an MP3 CD. Some stereos will not
    >>play MP3.

    > I burned it as an audio CD

    As already suggested, you could try a different brand of media, or try
    playing a CD which somebody else has burned.

    If an old player, it could be that the laser is on the way out, and the
    lower reflectivity of the CDR is difficult to read. Do any error
    messages appear on the players LCD?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus