CD and DVD stopped working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul_B, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. Paul_B

    Paul_B Guest

    I've got an eMachine which has been great now for two years.
    Suddenly the two optical drives, both on the same channel, aren't
    showing up in Explorer, under Win XP.

    On booting up, the computer sees the two opticals, and the two
    hard drives on channel one.

    Both opticals show up in Device Manager, with warning signs.
    Under Properties both say:

    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The
    driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

    Unistalling and letting Windows refind and reinstall the drives
    doesn't do anything. Doing the universal plug and play thing
    doesn't find "better" drivers so it does nothing.

    Cold rebooting doesn't do anything.

    The only thing I'm aware of was that putting a DVD in its drive
    recently (after a long time of no use) was causing it to make
    very loud sounds and stay in initial read mode for an
    inordinately long time upon bootup. But that seemed to be getting
    better of late.

    I did maintenance last night - Windows update, defrag, etc. I
    don't know if I had the drives since then. I just noticed their
    malfunctioning an hour ago.

    Have I fried channel 2?

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Paul_B

    JANA Guest

    Check in the BIOS set-up that the controller channel that the devices are on
    is active. If the BIOS is correctly set up, disconnect the drives, and
    replace one of them with a known working drive. If this works, then one or
    both of the drives is defective, and thus pulling the controller channel
    down. You can then use the process of elimination to fix the problems.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Paul_B

    Paul_B Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:11:03 -0400, JANA wrote:

    > Check in the BIOS set-up that the controller channel that the devices are on
    > is active. If the BIOS is correctly set up, disconnect the drives, and
    > replace one of them with a known working drive. If this works, then one or
    > both of the drives is defective, and thus pulling the controller channel
    > down. You can then use the process of elimination to fix the problems.

    Sounds like a plan, JANA. Will do.

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Paul_B

    Alan Guest

    Paul_B wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:11:03 -0400, JANA wrote:
    >

    >>Check in the BIOS set-up that the controller channel that the devices are on
    >>is active. If the BIOS is correctly set up, disconnect the drives, and
    >>replace one of them with a known working drive. If this works, then one or
    >>both of the drives is defective, and thus pulling the controller channel
    >>down. You can then use the process of elimination to fix the problems.

    > Sounds like a plan, JANA. Will do.
    >
    > p.

    Based on what he said: "On booting up, the computer sees the two
    opticals, and the two hard drives on channel one. Both opticals show
    up in Device Manager, with warning signs."

    The computer IS seeing them ruling out BIOS. Both opticals crashing at
    the same time; highly unlikely. I would stick with the drivers. Do an
    update of the drivers, but force it to do to the Windows CD
    Alan, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Paul_B

    Paul_B Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:06:13 -0400, Alan wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:11:03 -0400, JANA wrote:
    >>
    >>>Check in the BIOS set-up that the controller channel that the devices are on
    >>>is active. If the BIOS is correctly set up, disconnect the drives, and
    >>>replace one of them with a known working drive. If this works, then one or
    >>>both of the drives is defective, and thus pulling the controller channel
    >>>down. You can then use the process of elimination to fix the problems.

    >> Sounds like a plan, JANA. Will do.
    >>
    >> p.

    > Based on what he said: "On booting up, the computer sees the two
    > opticals, and the two hard drives on channel one. Both opticals show
    > up in Device Manager, with warning signs."
    >
    > The computer IS seeing them ruling out BIOS. Both opticals crashing at
    > the same time; highly unlikely. I would stick with the drivers. Do an
    > update of the drivers, but force it to do to the Windows CD

    Possibly. But I can't get to the Windows CD at the present rate.
    I have to first do a drive swap anyway. Since the DVD drive had
    been making strange sounds, the first thing I do when I'm ready
    to tackle this is disconnect it and see if the CD then works.

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Paul_B

    Paul_B Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 03:41:11 GMT, Paul_B wrote:

    > I've got an eMachine which has been great now for two years.
    > Suddenly the two optical drives, both on the same channel, aren't
    > showing up in Explorer, under Win XP.
    >
    > On booting up, the computer sees the two opticals, and the two
    > hard drives on channel one.
    >
    > Both opticals show up in Device Manager, with warning signs.
    > Under Properties both say:
    >
    > Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The
    > driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
    >
    > Unistalling and letting Windows refind and reinstall the drives
    > doesn't do anything. Doing the universal plug and play thing
    > doesn't find "better" drivers so it does nothing.
    >
    > Cold rebooting doesn't do anything.
    >
    > The only thing I'm aware of was that putting a DVD in its drive
    > recently (after a long time of no use) was causing it to make
    > very loud sounds and stay in initial read mode for an
    > inordinately long time upon bootup. But that seemed to be getting
    > better of late.
    >
    > I did maintenance last night - Windows update, defrag, etc. I
    > don't know if I had the drives since then. I just noticed their
    > malfunctioning an hour ago.
    >
    > Have I fried channel 2?
    >
    > p.

    I went through the entire diagnostic problem, and ascertained the
    problem was not with the optical drives. I tried replacing some
    of the optical drivers, but that made no difference. At this
    point I chatted up eMachines support. Here's what the problem
    was.

    Uninstalling earlier versions of EasyCD Creator breaks two
    registry keys in Win XP. I merely had to delete the keys and
    reboot, and my drives were back.

    I might have to reinstall subsequent burner software, but that's
    not a problem. The problem is documented at

    Both my helpers here were right - one with his methodology and
    the other in believing it was a software problem.

    Thanks for the help.

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 18, 2005