    postings have been very enlightening. What are other people using for
    archival purposes? Boy, just when I thought I had it figured out with
    printers and archival inks. Thanks to all, Keith, VE3JKC.

    J. Keith Carter, Sep 2, 2003

  2. J. Keith Carter

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "J. Keith Carter" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Also, are these machines capable of reading TIFF files or just JPEG?

    Usually just JPEG, but you need to check the specifications of each player
    to see.

    There is no "standard" for DVD JPEG playback/viewing.

    > Lastly, the archival aspect of the CD disc itself (also DVD). Recent
    > postings have been very enlightening. What are other people using for
    > archival purposes? Boy, just when I thought I had it figured out with
    > printers and archival inks. Thanks to all, Keith, VE3JKC.

    A good quality CD/DVD will last at least 100 years. Any of the name brands
    should do such as Kodak, Mitsumi, etc. Do not buy offbrands for archival
    storage - I've had bad luck with no-name brand cds failing after a couple
    of years.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Sep 2, 2003

  3. "J. Keith Carter" <> wrote in message
    > I'm about to start scanning my genealogical photos and save them to CD
    > for archival purposes as well as publishing for my family. I've seen
    > quite a number of postings relative to DVD players for TV slide show
    > viewing, however I've not seen anything technical that I can put my
    > teeth into to permit me to make equipment selection. Can someone point
    > me in the right direction for the technical info on readers that will do
    > this. I see "readers, players" with a long string of capabilities such
    > as Progressive scan, DVD, JPEG etc., but this doesn't tell me much.
    > Also, are these machines capable of reading TIFF files or just JPEG?
    > Your collective technical thoughts will be appreciated.
    > Lastly, the archival aspect of the CD disc itself (also DVD). Recent
    > postings have been very enlightening. What are other people using for
    > archival purposes? Boy, just when I thought I had it figured out with
    > printers and archival inks. Thanks to all, Keith, VE3JKC.

    It is best to use software that makes a VCD disk on a CD. I used Jasc Paint
    Shop Photo Album. For info on DVD readers that will read this format, go to
    www.vcdhelp.com.

    Marvin Margoshes, Sep 3, 2003