    I don't have any access to Cisco routers so I will be using a software
    simulator of some variety. And recommendations for decent simulators,
    books and / or bundles?

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005

  2. blastingfonda

    Chris M Guest

    "blastingfonda" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyway, I just received my MCSA Windows 2003 Server cert yesterday
    > after knocking down four exams in a month (but I had been prepping for
    > quite a while before that...)

    Nice one! Well done.

    > As I press on towards my MCSE, I'm looking ahead towards the CCNA cert.
    > I don't have any access to Cisco routers so I will be using a software
    > simulator of some variety. And recommendations for decent simulators,
    > books and / or bundles?

    RouterSim. Unfortunately I don't know how much a single copy costs because I
    work at a University that has a network licensed version - I just use theirs
    :)

    A CCNP I spoke to a while back recommended getting some old hardware to play
    with, from eBay or similar. I guess all you really need is one or two
    routers, and switches are dirt cheap.

    HTH.

    --
    Chris M.

    Chris M, Apr 1, 2005

  3. blastingfonda

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "blastingfonda" <> say in

    > I don't have any access to Cisco routers so I will be using a software
    > simulator of some variety. And recommendations for decent simulators,
    > books and / or bundles?

    NO! get a couple of routers and a switch and play with the real thing.
    you can get some routers on ebay dirt cheap (2500 series for less than
    $100, catalyst 1900switch for about the same) and there is NOTHING that
    compares with actually setting it up.

    A billion years ago when the earth cooled and I got my CCNA I used Todd
    Lammle's book (Sybex) which was great. But I also had the chance to get
    my hands on a 2500, a 3640 (which was going out to a customer in 3 weeks
    so I had 2 weeks to play and one to config it for the client) plus a
    couple of CSU/DSUs. I learned more about the IOS and the different
    configs in one week with the hardware than I did 4 weeks prior just
    reading.

    just my 2¢

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Memory Manager: Something I need more than my computer.

    Neil, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Chris M wrote:

    > Nice one! Well done.

    Thanks!

    > RouterSim. Unfortunately I don't know how much a single copy costs

    because I
    > work at a University that has a network licensed version - I just use

    theirs
    > :)

    Just priced it out. A single copy costs $209, which isn't bad.

    > A CCNP I spoke to a while back recommended getting some old hardware

    to play
    > with, from eBay or similar. I guess all you really need is one or two

    > routers, and switches are dirt cheap.

    Not a bad suggestion, but I guess I like the idea of a software
    simulator better than messing with old / potentially defective or bad
    equipment.

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Neil wrote:
    > did you hear "blastingfonda" <> say in

    > NO! get a couple of routers and a switch and play with the real

    thing.
    > you can get some routers on ebay dirt cheap (2500 series for less

    than
    > $100, catalyst 1900switch for about the same) and there is NOTHING

    that
    > compares with actually setting it up.

    Point taken, but how would telnetting into a decent simulator be any
    different than telnetting into the firmware on an actual router?
    Assuming the simulator supports all the configuration settings and
    commands, how would it behave any differently?

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  6. blastingfonda

    > Point taken, but how would telnetting into a decent simulator be any
    > different than telnetting into the firmware on an actual router?
    > Assuming the simulator supports all the configuration settings and
    > commands, how would it behave any differently?

    call me tactile but I need to have it in my hands. To me a sim is like
    following a prebuilt script on a VPC system. Works great. just like real
    life. unless you stray from the script. What happens in the IOS when you
    have insufficinet RAM for an update, how do you swap expansion cards in a
    sim, what about screwing up the config? there are times IMHO when having
    the real thing is the best.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - (Sniff) (Sniff)... Ok.... Who UARTed?

    Neil, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Neil wrote:

    > call me tactile but I need to have it in my hands. To me a sim is

    like
    > following a prebuilt script on a VPC system. Works great. just like

    real
    > life. unless you stray from the script. What happens in the IOS when

    you
    > have insufficinet RAM for an update, how do you swap expansion cards

    in a
    > sim, what about screwing up the config? there are times IMHO when

    having
    > the real thing is the best.
    >
    > --
    > Neil MCNGP#30

    True... and I'm not hardware shy by any means. I'm just weary of
    ordering old junk on eBay and having stuff turn out to be faulty or
    whatever. And I love VPCs (the non-prebuilt script variety)... they're
    great for training and even better for production / development.

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  8. You should take a look at the CNAP (Cisco network academy program), its run
    in colleges and training centres around the country im sure. Im doing it in
    the UK at the minute, its a little pricey (roughly £800 for CCNA), but if you
    do the course you will certainly know what your talking about.

    Im currently doing CCNP through the academy program and its working out
    pretty well for me. Im looking forward to the exam simulations actually :)

    Be warned, i think CCNA is 85% pass mark and also the exams are much tougher
    in my opinion!

    Mark.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBbTVNd?=, Apr 1, 2005