    and toys and is used during celebrations. A succession of blindfolded,
    stick-wielding children and some fun-loving adults will try to break the
    piñata in order to collect the candy inside of it.
    Holz, Jun 15, 2007

  2. Honestly, I personally went on ebay, bought a 2621, some 2611s, and
    some 2500s and 2- 2924c-XL's enterprise edition. I learned more
    configuring them in person than in any book or class (just graduated
    college). Of course you dont need all that, but if you're serious, I
    would get at least 2 2500 series routers (you will need some cableing,
    like AUI tranceivers, and a serial cable) and 1 switch with enterprise
    edition. But it REALLY helped. and if you get them on ebay, you
    could get them at a good price! You could get a 2501 for like 25
    bucks.

    Dave Jaremowicz, Jun 15, 2007

  3. Holz

    Holz Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:14:22 -0700, Dave Jaremowicz wrote:

    > I learned more
    > configuring them in person than in any book or class

    Dave

    I could not agree more, I already bought one catalyst today and on the way
    for some more. Sad part is that I manage a a Windows network with a load
    of devices but cannot shave on the company beard if you know what i mean.

    Holz, Jun 15, 2007
  4. Holz

    maco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Messages:
    10
    I don't think that a switch or router would help you to successfully finish the CCNA.

    What purpose would have a switch on your table if you don't know it's basic functions? What if you want to make a trunk? Do you know what is ISL or 802.1Q?
    Do you know what VLANs are?

    Will your switch help you when you want to find out how a Frame Relay works? How an ISDN works?

    Of course it is better when you got some hardware but CCNA is loaded with important informations you need to know.

    There are many books for CCNA or even Cisco Curriculum is very ok.
    Even you don't need a book, you just need to browse the cisco.com but it is better to have guide that will guide you through the required modules for CCNA.

    I would recommend the CCNA Curriculum v3 or higher (if there is any).
    Or you can choose from Cisco Press CCNA, Sybe CCNA Study guide.. and lot of others, they are pretty much the same..
    maco, Jun 15, 2007
  5. Holz

    ScottyC Guest

    On 15 Jun, 04:07, Holz <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:14:22 -0700, Dave Jaremowicz wrote:
    > > I learned more
    > > configuring them in person than in any book or class

    > Dave
    >
    > I could not agree more, I already bought one catalyst today and on the way
    > for some more. Sad part is that I manage a a Windows network with a load
    > of devices but cannot shave on the company beard if you know what i mean.
    >
    > --
    > TIA

    I actually used a free lab sim environment. Check out www.free-labs.com
    or www.expert-labs.com
    It's cheaper than buying the equipment (especially if you use the free
    one).

    As for books, which you need, I think I used Sybex for the CCNA. I
    used Cisco Press for the Press for the CCNP. just find one that you
    can follow through easy enough, do a few practice exams to gauge what
    you dont know and then re-read those sections.

    A tip that was given to me that I feel obligated to pass on: If you're
    doing practice exams and you dont know the answer to a question, dont
    bother guessing, your cheating yourself. Go back and re-study the
    topic.

    Cheers
    ScottyC, Jun 15, 2007
  6. Holz

    Holz Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 01:57:15 -0700, ScottyC wrote:

    > A tip that was given to me that I feel obligated to pass on: If you're
    > doing practice exams and you dont know the answer to a question, dont
    > bother guessing, your cheating yourself. Go back and re-study the
    > topic.

    I like that one...

    --
    The next version of Windows? Windows piñata
    Piñatas are made from easily breakable materials. a bright container
    surrounded by blindfolded children breaking the
    piñata in order to collect the candy inside of it.
    Holz, Jun 15, 2007
  7. You may wish to investigate Network World Magazine's:

    Chris Bryant, Cisco certification home lab expert

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/16293

    Additionally, you may find useful Network World Magazines's Free Cisco
    Press book chapters:

    http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/cisco-press-jump.html

    Finally, you can win Free Cisco Press books each month at Network
    World Magazine:

    http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/cisco-book-june-competition-jump.html

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese