CCleaner??

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Hp, Jul 31, 2011.

  1. Hp

    Hp Guest

    Ok, so in exploring the possible use of CCleaner I ran across several
    sites that suggest since not all utilities of this nature are equal, try
    testing to see if the product you want to use is really x64 workable.

    Since Ccleaner seems to be a program of choice by a lots of folks that
    use utilities of this nature I wonder if anyone knows if it is really
    x64 workable.

    the Ccleaner sites says this: CCleaner is fully tested and compatible
    with all the latest Windows OS's.

    a Competitor (of course) suggests a brief test of the validity of the
    x64 claims by setting a test trap for any program and seeing if that
    works or not.

    http://www.registry-cleaner.net/x64-registry-cleaner.htm

    Any experience with this conundrum?

    My possible application, home built PC with Xp X64.
    We are trying CCleaner on a XP 32bit machine to see if its claims to aid
    functionality once it started to really drag in its operation.
    (AV and pest scans all came up clean)

    Thanks!

    Hp, Jul 31, 2011

  2. I know of no compelling or even cogent reason for using ANY such product. If
    the registry needs cleaning (something I don't frankly agree with), it will
    be done by hand, by me. No way to I allow any automated process to muck
    around in there. And frankly, I've seen actual improvement in operation
    worthy of the substantial risk.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jul 31, 2011

  3. CCleaner on its default settings is a very effective remover of
    temporary files and cookies. Much better than the Windows tools.

    There are many more advanced options available, including registry
    cleaning. Like Charlie, I recommend that you do not use them.

    If you are installing CCleaner for your own use, it is a good product on
    its default settings. For other users it would be dangerous: they might
    experiment with the more advanced settings and damage their systems.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 1, 2011
  4. Hp

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I could not agree more, as we have always done on this subject.
    Neither registry cleaners, or even registry "defraggers", do any good.
    They are what they are meant to be: dangerous "placebos".
    I also prefer manually editing the registry when I do know what I am
    doing.
    As for temporary files I usually run %TEMP% and do the cleanup myself.
    That's all that there is.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 2, 2011
  5. Ah,there you are, Carlos. :)

    Yes, these are useless at best, and dangerous in all cases. (And beyond
    %temp%, I like to also hunt up log files and truncate those. Windows 7
    search is really useful for things like this. (I can't belive I'm preferring
    a gui process!)

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Aug 3, 2011