    productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.
    --
    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 24, 2014

  2. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/23/2014 10:39 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers, and
    > our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
    > resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed text
    > can be challenging to read (not so good).
    >
    > One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has found
    > the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
    > tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users have
    > had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
    > found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in these
    > programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat to
    > productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.

    Sadly, there doesn;t seem to be a solution to the issue.
    Adobe says they are aware of the problem, but will not give a timetable
    for the fix.
    <http://forums.adobe.com/message/5841108>
    Wish I had better news.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014

  3. Robert Coe

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers, and
    > our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
    > resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed text
    > can be challenging to read (not so good).
    >
    > One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has found
    > the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
    > tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users have
    > had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
    > found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in these
    > programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat to
    > productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.

    I don't have my Windows 8 machine in front of me at the moment but IIRC
    it's a setting reached from "personalize" after right-clicking the
    desktop. You want to "adjust font size" or "adjust DPI". The downside
    is that it makes menus in some programs unreadable.

    If you can't find it let me know and over the weekend I'll chase it down
    for you in Windows 8.

    J. Clarke, Jan 24, 2014
  4. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/23/2014 11:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2014-01-24 04:18:15 +0000, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2014-01-24 03:39:16 +0000, Robert Coe <> said:
    >>
    >>> We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet
    >>> computers, and
    >>> our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
    >>> resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any
    >>> displayed text
    >>> can be challenging to read (not so good).
    >>>
    >>> One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and
    >>> has found
    >>> the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a
    >>> problem. He
    >>> tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR
    >>> users have
    >>> had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to
    >>> have
    >>> found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size
    >>> in these
    >>> programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a
    >>> threat to
    >>> productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.

    >> I am not quite sure what you mean by "Legends and headers". however it
    >> is possible to adjust text size in the UI.
    >>
    >> Photoshop CC Menu bar:
    >> Photoshop->Preferences-> Interface->Text-> Font Size (small, medium,
    >> large)
    >> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_539.jpg ? >

    > I just tried that, going from my default of "small" to "large", and the
    > various text for the UI is much more readable.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_540.jpg >

    It's a Windows issue. I tried it on my Win 7, and it made no difference.
    I then Googled the issue, and discovered that it is a known issue for
    which there is no fix. This is one of those cases where I want to be wrong.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  5. Robert Coe

    Mayayana Guest

    Here's one option. :)

    http://www.neowin.net/news/someone-has-made-a-surface-pro-workstation-setup-with-four-pc-monitors

    It's hard to see it as anything other than idiotic,
    though. Someone managed to probably spend about
    $3,000 to $4,000 to get a setup that, aside from
    having multiple monitors, has about half the
    capability of the average $300 PC.

    The Surface Pro is very expensive for what
    you get. One pays a premium for small size. Maybe
    that makes sense for someone with money to waste
    who rarely sits at a desk, but using a Surface to
    run graphic software and then complaining that the
    screen is small? Of course it's small! It's not made
    for running graphic editing software.

    -

    Mayayana, Jan 24, 2014
  6. Robert Coe

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2014012321000147100-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > On 2014-01-24 04:47:15 +0000, "Mayayana" <> said:
    >
    > > Here's one option. :)
    > >
    > > http://www.neowin.net/news/someone-has-made-a-surface-pro-workstation-setup-with-four-pc-monitors

    > > It's hard to see it as anything other than idiotic,
    > > though. Someone managed to probably spend about
    > > $3,000 to $4,000 to get a setup that, aside from
    > > having multiple monitors, has about half the
    > > capability of the average $300 PC.

    > Yup! That does seem like a silly solution if they guys with the text
    > size problem are only using their PS CC/LR5 installation on the Surface
    > Pro for on-the-road editing, especially if they have a desktop
    > installation at their home base.
    >
    > > The Surface Pro is very expensive for what
    > > you get. One pays a premium for small size. Maybe
    > > that makes sense for someone with money to waste
    > > who rarely sits at a desk, but using a Surface to
    > > run graphic software and then complaining that the
    > > screen is small? Of course it's small! It's not made
    > > for running graphic editing software.

    > It sure doesn't seem like the ideal platform for making any mission
    > critical graphic edits, other than quick fixes while away from
    > something better to work on.

    > > -
    > > "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > > | We've bought a few of Microsoft's new "Surface Pro 2" tablet computers,
    > > and
    > > | our users have been fairly impressed so far. The SP2 has unusually high
    > > | resolution for its size (good), but this means that that any displayed
    > > text
    > > | can be challenging to read (not so good).
    > > |
    > > | One of our users has installed Adobe's LR5 and CC on his Surface and has
    > > found
    > > | the small type in those programs' legends and headers to be a problem. He
    > > | tells me that he's Googled around and found that other CC and LR users
    > > have
    > > | had the same problem on small-screen computers, but that none seem to have
    > > | found a satisfactory remedy. Is there a way to increase the font size in
    > > these
    > > | programs? It hasn't been a show stopper so far, but clearly it's a threat
    > > | productivity. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.
    > > | --
    > > | Bob

    Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
    good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.

    J. Clarke, Jan 24, 2014
  7. Robert Coe

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, J. Clarke wrote:

    > Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer
    > that's good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's
    > Cintiq.

    Yes, that's why I bought a Surface Pro. Its pen is rally ok, but not very
    comfortable. And the tablet lacks some hardware buttons to make it a good
    cintiq replacement.

    Which is why I bought a Wacom Cintiq Companion, which is a 13" real Wacom
    Cintiq qith a real Wacom pen with 2048 levels of pressure and tilt support
    (lacking from the Surface) and an array of hardware buttons. And a speedy
    i7 processor (and piss poor battery life).

    But as a "poor man's Cintiq", the Surface is surprisingly good.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jan 24, 2014
  8. Robert Coe

    Sandman Guest

    In article <2014012321543286059-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck wrote:

    > > J. Clarke:
    > > Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer
    > > that's good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's
    > > Cintiq.

    > Nope! Nobody missed the point. You failed to mention anything about
    > the Wacom connection. On top of that I don't know of any Wacom
    > drivers to add to a "Surface Pro".

    Not sure what drivers you're in reference to here - Windows has full
    support for the pressure sensitivity in the Surface stylus, and
    applications has full access to that.

    > I know there is the Cintiq Companion which includes a Surface Pro in its
    > $2500 price. < https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTHW1300H > If this
    > is what your pals are talking about I suggest the get ahold of Wacom
    > support.

    Not sure what you mean why "includes a Surface Pro" here. The Companion is
    a 13" tablet with a i7 processor.

    > PS on the other hand has tablet support, so it could still be
    > worthwhile checking PS preferences.

    PS has support for the Surface out of the box, as well as Painter.
    Sketchbook Pro didn't support it but I think it does now.

    > So, perhaps you could aim me in the direction of this "Wacom
    > digitizer" because I am having trouble finding it among the Wacom
    > offerings: < http://www.wacom.com/en/us/product-finder >

    The stylus that comes with the Surface, along with the technology to detect
    it and how hard you're pressing down, is licensed from Wacom.

    I.e. the stylus for the Surface is not capacitive, like all styluses for
    the iPad is. So when the surface detects the pen, it turns off the
    capacitive input, meaning that you have perfect palm rejection.

    The Samsung Note series also license Wacom tech for their styluses. I
    assume Wacom has some serious patents in place :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jan 24, 2014
  9. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 12:05 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2014-01-24 04:37:09 +0000, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 1/23/2014 11:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> I just tried that, going from my default of "small" to "large", and the
    >>> various text for the UI is much more readable.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_540.jpg >
    >>>

    >> It's a Windows issue. I tried it on my Win 7, and it made no
    >> difference. I then Googled the issue, and discovered that it is a
    >> known issue for which there is no fix. This is one of those cases
    >> where I want to be wrong.

    > BTW: Is there some particular issue with Windows, that the PS
    > preferences, "Interface" options don't work for UI text font size?
    > If so, why would MS go out of its way to break PS CC?
    > As a Mac user I wouldn't be privy to that sort of information.

    There is a discussion of this issue on Adobe Forums.

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  10. Robert Coe

    Mayayana Guest

    | Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
    | good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.

    Interesting. I'd never heard of Wacom and never
    would have thought that touch tools for PC would
    ever be more than a novelty item. What do you do
    with it? Something like computer-based sketching?
    Do you actually find a touch-pen easier to use in
    PS than a mouse?

    Mayayana, Jan 24, 2014
  11. Robert Coe

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:05:08 -0500, "Mayayana"
    <> wrote:

    >| Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
    >| good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.
    >|

    > Interesting. I'd never heard of Wacom and never
    >would have thought that touch tools for PC would
    >ever be more than a novelty item. What do you do
    >with it? Something like computer-based sketching?
    >Do you actually find a touch-pen easier to use in
    >PS than a mouse?

    My Wacom tablet is always at my left hand. When working in Photoshop,
    I use it more than I use the trackball by my right hand.

    The two composites I recently linked to here were done in Photoshop
    using Wacom tablet/pen to create the mask that isolates the statue
    from the background in which it was shot. Any time I want precise
    placement of the cursor, I reach for the pen.

    Some people use the pen for freehand drawing, but I don't have that
    talent. Some use the pen, with an acetate overlay over something, to
    trace art.

    To me, it's an invaluable accessory to Photoshop. Once you get used
    to the idea of moving the hand while looking at the screen, rather
    than looking at the tablet, it's a great tool.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2014
  12. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 9:29 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:05:08 -0500, "Mayayana"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> | Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
    >> | good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.
    >> |

    >> Interesting. I'd never heard of Wacom and never
    >> would have thought that touch tools for PC would
    >> ever be more than a novelty item. What do you do
    >> with it? Something like computer-based sketching?
    >> Do you actually find a touch-pen easier to use in
    >> PS than a mouse?
    >>

    > My Wacom tablet is always at my left hand. When working in Photoshop,
    > I use it more than I use the trackball by my right hand.
    >
    > The two composites I recently linked to here were done in Photoshop
    > using Wacom tablet/pen to create the mask that isolates the statue
    > from the background in which it was shot. Any time I want precise
    > placement of the cursor, I reach for the pen.
    >
    > Some people use the pen for freehand drawing, but I don't have that
    > talent. Some use the pen, with an acetate overlay over something, to
    > trace art.
    >
    > To me, it's an invaluable accessory to Photoshop. Once you get used
    > to the idea of moving the hand while looking at the screen, rather
    > than looking at the tablet, it's a great tool.

    Agreed. For several years 1 have been doing the majority of my PS work
    with a tablet. I know several graphic artists, none of whom would be
    without a tablet.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  13. Robert Coe

    Mayayana Guest

    --
    | My Wacom tablet is always at my left hand. When working in Photoshop,
    | I use it more than I use the trackball by my right hand.
    |
    | The two composites I recently linked to here were done in Photoshop
    | using Wacom tablet/pen to create the mask that isolates the statue
    | from the background in which it was shot. Any time I want precise
    | placement of the cursor, I reach for the pen.

    I hadn't thought of that. I usually use progressive
    selection of similar, contiguous areas to separate an
    object from background. ("magic wand") I would expect
    that to be easier than a pen in most cases; like with
    your statue, where the object and background are clearly
    defined from each other in terms of color and lightness.
    But selection can be very tedious in some cases.

    Mayayana, Jan 24, 2014
  14. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 9:57 AM, Mayayana wrote:

    For some reason when I tried to reply to your message in Thunderbird, I
    could not get your quote. This did not ha[en with other messages from you.

    However, to reply, after making a selection, try using refine edge to
    improve the accuracy of your selection. Having said that, I mostly use
    Topaz ReMask, for selections. It find it more intuitive. YMMV

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  15. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 9:19 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2014-01-24 13:04:05 +0000, PeterN <> said:

    >>> BTW: Is there some particular issue with Windows, that the PS
    >>> preferences, "Interface" options don't work for UI text font size?
    >>> If so, why would MS go out of its way to break PS CC?
    >>> As a Mac user I wouldn't be privy to that sort of information.
    >>>

    >> There is a discussion of this issue on Adobe Forums.
    >>
    >> <http://forums.adobe.com/message/5841108>

    > So I was correct. The solution is to forget about a Win8 system and buy
    > a Mac.

    My Windows 7 notebook has the same issue. But, on my 21" monitor I do
    not have that issue.
    The problem is that Bob's co-worker already has a windows machine.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  16. Robert Coe

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <lbtrs0$tn1$>, says...

    > | Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
    > | good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.
    > |

    > Interesting. I'd never heard of Wacom and never
    > would have thought that touch tools for PC would
    > ever be more than a novelty item. What do you do
    > with it? Something like computer-based sketching?
    > Do you actually find a touch-pen easier to use in
    > PS than a mouse?

    For some things yes. Working with the pen on a horizontal screen is
    much like working with pen or brush and paper. Bear down harder and you
    get a darker line for example.

    Note that a Wacom pen is different from the kind that work with
    capacitive screens--it has a much smaller point and is actually quite
    precise.

    Photoshop isn't the best showcase for the technology--if you have a
    Surface or anything else that uses a Wacom pen and want to play with
    something that's fun, try the trial version of Corel Painter X3.

    J. Clarke, Jan 24, 2014
  17. Robert Coe

    Sandman Guest

    In article <lbtrs0$tn1$>, Mayayana wrote:

    > > Y'all are missing a point. The Surface Pro has Wacom digitizer that's
    > > good enough that some folks are treating it as a poor man's Cintiq.

    > Interesting. I'd never heard of Wacom and never would have thought
    > that touch tools for PC would ever be more than a novelty item. What
    > do you do with it? Something like computer-based sketching? Do you
    > actually find a touch-pen easier to use in PS than a mouse?

    Wow, never met anyone that hasn't heard of a Wacom.

    You have your original Wacom tablets:

    http://tinyurl.com/3dfmq7y

    They are just a replacement to your mouse. You use the pen to direct the
    cursor on your screen. The pen also supports pressure levels and tilt so
    the Wacom software can tell Photoshop how hard you're pressing and in what
    angle.

    Then you have the Wacom Cintiq's:

    http://tinyurl.com/cfcu25

    That are the same thing as the tablets, but have a built in monitor
    connected to your computer, letting you draw directly on the screen,
    otherwise working just as the tablet.

    And now you have the Wacom Cintiq Companion:

    http://tinyurl.com/nhkkt3s

    Which is the same as the Wacom Cintiq, but without the computer. It runs
    Windows 8 and is self-contained and battery powered, meaning you can sit in
    your living room sketching, painting and drawing directly in photoshop or
    any other application. It's really really nice.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jan 24, 2014
  18. Robert Coe

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:57:10 -0500, "Mayayana"
    <> wrote:

    You've inserted a delimiter above the text in this post, and that
    deletes the text in your post. First time I've seen you do that.

    However, I copy/pasted to get your text:

    | My Wacom tablet is always at my left hand. When working in Photoshop,
    | I use it more than I use the trackball by my right hand.
    |
    | The two composites I recently linked to here were done in Photoshop
    | using Wacom tablet/pen to create the mask that isolates the statue
    | from the background in which it was shot. Any time I want precise
    | placement of the cursor, I reach for the pen.

    I hadn't thought of that. I usually use progressive
    selection of similar, contiguous areas to separate an
    object from background. ("magic wand") I would expect
    that to be easier than a pen in most cases; like with
    your statue, where the object and background are clearly
    defined from each other in terms of color and lightness.
    But selection can be very tedious in some cases.

    I have never mastered the pen tool. It's the least-usable tool in the
    toolbox for me. The Magic Wand is not good for isolating something
    like the statue. Too much clean-up is required because the MW leaves
    pixels.

    I work with a Layer Mask and a brush using the Wacom tablet/pen. I
    enlarge the area and use a soft brush set to remove to closely outline
    the desired part to be kept, and then a progressively larger hard
    brush to wipe out the rest.

    I find it helpful to insert a layer below the Layer Mask layer with a
    solid fill of light yellow or some other solid color. This makes it
    very clear what is gone and what is there. That fill layer is
    discarded after the selection is made.

    When the selection is completed, I'll "merge all visible" so the fill
    is the background. Then, the Magic Wand and Inverse to capture the
    selection and move to the other image. The MW works well with the
    filled area since it's all one color.

    I also find it helpful to rotate the image as I work. I can get a
    sharper edge when I'm working in a horizontal mode, so I rotate the
    image 90° to get the sides in the horizontal position.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2014
  19. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 11:36 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:57:10 -0500, "Mayayana"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > You've inserted a delimiter above the text in this post, and that
    > deletes the text in your post. First time I've seen you do that.
    >
    > However, I copy/pasted to get your text:
    >
    > | My Wacom tablet is always at my left hand. When working in Photoshop,
    > | I use it more than I use the trackball by my right hand.
    > |
    > | The two composites I recently linked to here were done in Photoshop
    > | using Wacom tablet/pen to create the mask that isolates the statue
    > | from the background in which it was shot. Any time I want precise
    > | placement of the cursor, I reach for the pen.
    > |

    > I hadn't thought of that. I usually use progressive
    > selection of similar, contiguous areas to separate an
    > object from background. ("magic wand") I would expect
    > that to be easier than a pen in most cases; like with
    > your statue, where the object and background are clearly
    > defined from each other in terms of color and lightness.
    > But selection can be very tedious in some cases.
    >
    > I have never mastered the pen tool. It's the least-usable tool in the
    > toolbox for me. The Magic Wand is not good for isolating something
    > like the statue. Too much clean-up is required because the MW leaves
    > pixels.

    Have you tried refine edge?

    <http://www.photoshop.com/tutorials?keywords=refine%2520edge&sort=relevance&product=ps&category=tutorial&difficulty=all>

    there are tons of tutorials on the subject.

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
  20. Robert Coe

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:40:52 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 1/24/2014 11:36 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:57:10 -0500, "Mayayana"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> You've inserted a delimiter above the text in this post, and that
    >> deletes the text in your post. First time I've seen you do that.
    >>
    >> However, I copy/pasted to get your text:
    >>
    >> | My Wacom tablet is always at my left hand. When working in Photoshop,
    >> | I use it more than I use the trackball by my right hand.
    >> |
    >> | The two composites I recently linked to here were done in Photoshop
    >> | using Wacom tablet/pen to create the mask that isolates the statue
    >> | from the background in which it was shot. Any time I want precise
    >> | placement of the cursor, I reach for the pen.
    >> |

    >> I hadn't thought of that. I usually use progressive
    >> selection of similar, contiguous areas to separate an
    >> object from background. ("magic wand") I would expect
    >> that to be easier than a pen in most cases; like with
    >> your statue, where the object and background are clearly
    >> defined from each other in terms of color and lightness.
    >> But selection can be very tedious in some cases.
    >>
    >> I have never mastered the pen tool. It's the least-usable tool in the
    >> toolbox for me. The Magic Wand is not good for isolating something
    >> like the statue. Too much clean-up is required because the MW leaves
    >> pixels.

    >Have you tried refine edge?
    >
    ><http://www.photoshop.com/tutorials?keywords=refine%2520edge&sort=relevance&product=ps&category=tutorial&difficulty=all>
    >
    >there are tons of tutorials on the subject.

    This is one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" things. I can
    make a selection, as I did with the statue, so fast and easy using the
    technique that I listed here that I'm not really interested in other
    ways of doing it.

    I have worked with "refine edge", but it shrinks/enlarges the entire
    selection. Usually, when using a Layer Mask and a brush, there are
    bits here and bits there that show the background that should be
    deleted. I find it better just to zoom in on those bits and go back
    with the brush.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2014