    Another question if I may.
    Is CBTNuggets a good way to go, do you get everything you
    need to complete the course?

    Dane, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Dane

    ROwdy Yates Guest

    "Dane" <> wrote in news:05cc01c3d2c7
    $9b6d6af0$:

    > CBTNuggets

    hey there. i haven't used cbtnuggets. so can't offer a valauable comment on
    the company, their products, or their services.

    but at my work, at one point, we did go out and blow a huge lump of cash on
    smartforce which is now http://www.skillsoft.com/ i believe. we got the
    novell and mcse product lines.

    i personally did not like the products that much and do not find them as
    useful as books. when i study - i just read the book, when i want to try
    anything out from the book, i just setup a pc or server/client test network
    and try the stuff out. i also like to make tons of pencil notes &
    highlight, so my preference for the book format.

    i remember smartforce used some very propriatery video program/engine, we
    had tech support problems with the smartforce products and no tech support
    dept. contactable to help solve them. not good for a $1,000 product line.
    also, a few years later, when all the OS's moved away from Win9.x based to
    WinNT based, the products were rendered almost useless because the company
    did not provide continued support and product updating & patches.

    just my 2 cents....

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    MCSE, Security+

    ROwdy Yates, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Dane

    CJ Guest

    I used CBT's, Dane, but the CBT's alone do not provide enough information to
    pass the exams. I supplemented with MS Press books, online free questions,
    newsgroups, and practicing on a little network I have at home. I could
    never get the time off work to attend class so I used the CBTs as classroom
    instruction.

    Carolina

    CJ, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Dane

    Maria Guest

    Hi Dane,

    Different people have different ways of learning; some
    people like CBT, some prefer books - and very few can pass
    the tests without actually using the product.
    Personally I do not think a 'generic' CBT format is very
    well suited to IT tech subjects, except as a first
    introduction or a general overview. In theory CBT with
    lots of good interactive simulation may be OK.
    Our company uses SmartForce in a big way. SmartForce CBT
    still uses the Microsoft Java VM (which is a pain if you
    also need the Sun Java VM for other apps). Our training
    dept was unable to find out what SmartForce will do after
    September 2004 when the Microsoft Java VM will no longer
    be supported...

    Maria

    Maria, Jan 5, 2004