    Anything by Rick Mercer
    I know they are owned by the Canadian government but with supposed tight
    budgets this would be a great cashcow.

    fuzzy1, Mar 6, 2004

  2. fuzzy1

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <osp2c.17544$>, fuzzy1
    <> wrote:

    > Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon?

    Probably the same reason they didn't jump on the VHS bandwagon. Canada
    is a small market, and while they'd sell some stuff to those of us in
    the US border cities print runs would be low (and thus expensive).

    > They have some great and
    > near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to see
    > full seasons of:
    > CODCO
    > This hour has 22 minutes

    Would a news parody show really do well on video? I love The Daily
    Show, but wouldn't pay for 5 year old episodes...

    > Wayne and Shuster

    This would be great. Maybe they're waiting for the last one to kick the
    bucket so they don't have to pay royalties.

    > Beachcombers
    > Anything by Rick Mercer
    > I know they are owned by the Canadian government but with supposed tight
    > budgets this would be a great cashcow.

    ARE they owned by the CBC, or by the production companies? And did
    anyone bother keeping good copies of everything?

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Mar 6, 2004

  3. fuzzy1

    fuzzy1 Guest

    "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > In article <osp2c.17544$>, fuzzy1
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon?

    > Probably the same reason they didn't jump on the VHS bandwagon. Canada
    > is a small market, and while they'd sell some stuff to those of us in
    > the US border cities print runs would be low (and thus expensive).

    No more expensive than producing SCTV which seems to be in great demand

    > > They have some great and
    > > near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to

    see
    > > full seasons of:
    > > CODCO
    > > This hour has 22 minutes

    > Would a news parody show really do well on video? I love The Daily
    > Show, but wouldn't pay for 5 year old episodes...

    The only one there This hour, CODCO, like 4 on the Floor was a satire/
    humour series.

    > > Wayne and Shuster

    > This would be great. Maybe they're waiting for the last one to kick the
    > bucket so they don't have to pay royalties.

    Frank Shuster died about 2 years ago,along with Tom Kneebone who died
    late last year
    and Johnny Wayne quite sometime ago
    > > Beachcombers
    > > Anything by Rick Mercer
    > > I know they are owned by the Canadian government but with supposed tight
    > > budgets this would be a great cashcow.
    > >

    > ARE they owned by the CBC, or by the production companies? And did
    > anyone bother keeping good copies of everything?

    Yes they are owned by the CBC they all recieved Canadian subsisties and
    were produced and funded for the most part under the CBC banner.
    One of the few truly Canadian produced shows was under CTV . The Starlost
    was a badly acted and truly mediocer show that still has cult status in
    Canada.

    fuzzy1, Mar 6, 2004
  4. >Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon? They have some great and
    >near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to see

    I was also wondering why the Canadian yv dhows haven't been released on dvd in
    season sets, yet.

    You would think that they would notice the popularity of the U.S. season sets
    of tv shows and the British season sets of tv shows, and release theirr own
    Canadian series in season sets.

    Some people in this newsgroup did say that "Second City TV" is going to be
    released on dvd. (although I don't know if that's season sets or not).

    However, none of them had an answer for whether it was the original Canadian
    version being released on dvd or whether it was the U.S. version. (NBC).

    My guess is that it's probably the U.S. version that aired on NBC instead of
    the original Canadian version

    although I would like to see the original Canadian version of it released on
    dvd. (which was syndicated on individual tv stations in the U.S.)

    Waterperson77, Mar 6, 2004
  5. fuzzy1

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <PYs2c.17762$>, fuzzy1
    <> wrote:

    > "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <osp2c.17544$>, fuzzy1
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon?

    > > Probably the same reason they didn't jump on the VHS bandwagon. Canada
    > > is a small market, and while they'd sell some stuff to those of us in
    > > the US border cities print runs would be low (and thus expensive).

    > No more expensive than producing SCTV which seems to be in great demand

    That aired on a US network at some point, and had stars who went on to
    bigger things. Everyone in the US knows about Bob and Doug from the
    Great White North, few know about Beachcombers. Mabye these other shows
    were seen in other Commonwealth countries and would have a large enough
    market to justify releasing (I'm all for them coming out, but you have
    to look at things from the CBC's point of view)

    > > > They have some great and
    > > > near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to

    > see
    > > > full seasons of:
    > > > CODCO
    > > > This hour has 22 minutes

    > > Would a news parody show really do well on video? I love The Daily
    > > Show, but wouldn't pay for 5 year old episodes...

    > The only one there This hour, CODCO, like 4 on the Floor was a satire/
    > humour series.

    I never heard of CODCO (well, maybe I have but just don't know what
    it's abreviating), but just didn't feel like deleting it from the list
    :)

    > > > Wayne and Shuster

    > > This would be great. Maybe they're waiting for the last one to kick the
    > > bucket so they don't have to pay royalties.

    > Frank Shuster died about 2 years ago,along with Tom Kneebone who died
    > late last year
    > and Johnny Wayne quite sometime ago

    Shuster died? I honestly didn't know. I thought I saw a W&S clip show
    not that long ago with him hosting, which would be strange to run if
    both had passed away (better to re-package them yet again then to have
    a now dead Shuster talking about his also dead partner)

    > One of the few truly Canadian produced shows was under CTV . The Starlost
    > was a badly acted and truly mediocer show that still has cult status in
    > Canada.

    Are you sure Canada wants to admit that? :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Mar 7, 2004