    old unit actually transmits/receives?

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Dec 10, 2004

  2. thing

    BTMO Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in

    > Does anybody still use CBs?

    Nope.

    > I have set up an old unit and cannot hear anyone....
    >
    > :(
    >
    > Anybody in wgtn prepared to spare some time to run a test to see if my old
    > unit actually transmits/receives?

    It is probably working fine!

    :)

    My youngest boy just recently bought a pair of these btw...

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41b934430efbd820273fc0a87f99071b/Product/View/D1773

    $69.

    He can sit in his room, and talk to one of his mates accoss town...
    BTMO, Dec 10, 2004

  3. thing

    John Guest

    John, Dec 10, 2004
  4. thing

    thing Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Does anybody still use CBs?

    > Nope.
    >

    >>I have set up an old unit and cannot hear anyone....
    >>
    >:mad:
    >>
    >>Anybody in wgtn prepared to spare some time to run a test to see if my old
    >>unit actually transmits/receives?

    > It is probably working fine!
    >
    > :)
    >
    > My youngest boy just recently bought a pair of these btw...
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41b934430efbd820273fc0a87f99071b/Product/View/D1773
    >
    > $69.
    >
    > He can sit in his room, and talk to one of his mates accoss town...

    Thanks,

    DSE ppl said they didnt sell many, but CBs have a far longer range....

    Im saving for the uh-039p or 41p set for close range.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Dec 10, 2004
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:20:40 +1300, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >

    >>My youngest boy just recently bought a pair of these btw...
    >>
    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41b934430efbd820273fc0a87f99071b/Product/View/D1773
    >>
    >>$69.

    > They have come down in price, PRS, 4x4 clubs use them more and more,
    > why bother rechiping an old uniden radio when you can get a pair of
    > PRS,

    re-chipping?

    who said anything about re-chipping....?

    Im saving for some PRS, I just happpened to have an old CB laying around
    so installed it.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Dec 10, 2004
  6. thing

    BTMO Guest

    "thing" <> wrote

    > DSE ppl said they didnt sell many, but CBs have a far longer range....

    I suspect people perceive them to be toys. They are *very* small and feel
    like toys - but for the price, they are hard to beat!

    > Im saving for the uh-039p or 41p set for close range.

    In your original question, were you asking about 27MHz CB, or UHF?

    I used to have a 27MHz set years ago - I don't actually know anyone who
    still does CB - they all seem to have moved to the 'net.

    Hard to do in the car of course, but that is what cellphones are for...

    Cheers,

    Brenton
    BTMO, Dec 10, 2004
  7. It seems like Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:41:21 +1300 was when "BTMO"
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >I used to have a 27MHz set years ago - I don't actually know anyone who
    >still does CB - they all seem to have moved to the 'net.

    Funny you say that, that's what killed Shortwave radio for me.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Dec 10, 2004
  8. thing

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Dec 10, 2004
  9. "BTMO" <> wrote in message
    > "thing" <> wrote
    >
    > > DSE ppl said they didnt sell many, but CBs have a far longer range....

    > I suspect people perceive them to be toys. They are *very* small and feel
    > like toys - but for the price, they are hard to beat!
    >
    > > Im saving for the uh-039p or 41p set for close range.

    > In your original question, were you asking about 27MHz CB, or UHF?
    >
    > I used to have a 27MHz set years ago - I don't actually know anyone who
    > still does CB - they all seem to have moved to the 'net.

    26 mhz for NZ, 27 Mhz for Aussie
    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, Dec 10, 2004
  10. thing

    Nomad Damon Guest

    On , , Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:39:24 +1300, Re: CB radio in
    Wellington, Waylon Kenning <>
    wrote:

    >It seems like Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:41:21 +1300 was when "BTMO"
    ><> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>I used to have a 27MHz set years ago - I don't actually know anyone who
    >>still does CB - they all seem to have moved to the 'net.

    >Funny you say that, that's what killed Shortwave radio for me.

    What killed shortwave radio for me was the interference, the old
    computers were very noisy (radio interference wise), my XT could
    be heard a block away when the monitor was running.
    Nomad Damon, Dec 11, 2004
  11. thing

    BTMO Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <> wrote

    >> I used to have a 27MHz set years ago - I don't actually know anyone who
    >> still does CB - they all seem to have moved to the 'net.
    >>

    > 26 mhz for NZ, 27 Mhz for Aussie

    Guess where I grew up....

    -evil foreign grin-
    BTMO, Dec 11, 2004
  12. thing

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.tech on
    Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:56:25 +1300, Nomad Damon <> says...
    > On , , Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:39:24 +1300, Re: CB radio in
    > Wellington, Waylon Kenning <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It seems like Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:41:21 +1300 was when "BTMO"
    > ><> said Blah blah blah...
    > >
    > >>I used to have a 27MHz set years ago - I don't actually know anyone who
    > >>still does CB - they all seem to have moved to the 'net.

    > >Funny you say that, that's what killed Shortwave radio for me.

    > What killed shortwave radio for me was the interference, the old
    > computers were very noisy (radio interference wise), my XT could
    > be heard a block away when the monitor was running.

    in waitara?
    Adder, Dec 11, 2004
  13. thing

    thing Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >

    >> Im saving for the uh-039p or 41p set for close range.

    > Check http://www.tritek.co.nz

    Lets see uh-036 second hand with 90 warantee $60, or DSE brand new with
    year warantee $69...

    not a cheap place....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Dec 11, 2004
  14. thing

    thing Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote
    >

    >>DSE ppl said they didnt sell many, but CBs have a far longer range....

    > I suspect people perceive them to be toys. They are *very* small and feel
    > like toys - but for the price, they are hard to beat!
    >

    >>Im saving for the uh-039p or 41p set for close range.

    > In your original question, were you asking about 27MHz CB, or UHF?
    >
    > I used to have a 27MHz set years ago - I don't actually know anyone who
    > still does CB - they all seem to have moved to the 'net.
    >
    > Hard to do in the car of course, but that is what cellphones are for...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Brenton

    26.3Mhz, I was not going to bother but noticed DSE selling them, so
    thought I would set my old one up as I had it. Useful if ppl are using
    it and I get stuck in the 4wd somewhare. Prs works like a few k if I am
    lucky, so good for what it does but otherwise pathetic.

    More people might use UHF, not sure, when I join the 4wd club I will get
    a "club radio" which is UHF.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Dec 11, 2004
  15. thing

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:

    > not a cheap place....

    Their pricing has changed - when I bought a couple of UHF handhelds they
    undercut DSE by a good margin with their brand new gear.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Dec 11, 2004
  16. thing

    Nomad Damon Guest

    On , , Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:51:42 +1300, Re: CB radio in
    Wellington, Adder <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.tech on
    >Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:56:25 +1300, Nomad Damon <> says...
    >> On , , Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:39:24 +1300, Re: CB radio in
    >> Wellington, Waylon Kenning <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It seems like Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:41:21 +1300 was when "BTMO"
    >> ><> said Blah blah blah...

    >> >Funny you say that, that's what killed Shortwave radio for me.

    >> What killed shortwave radio for me was the interference, the old
    >> computers were very noisy (radio interference wise), my XT could
    >> be heard a block away when the monitor was running.

    >in waitara?

    The Waitara in Australia or the Waitara in New Zealand?
    That's a little far away to be heard when it was running, I
    suspect I would have had the FCC on my case permanently if I did
    for wiping out communications halfway across the planet.
    Nomad Damon, Dec 12, 2004
  17. thing

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Adder wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.tech on
    > Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:56:25 +1300, Nomad Damon <> says...
    >
    >>On , , Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:39:24 +1300, Re: CB radio in
    >>Wellington, Waylon Kenning <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>It seems like Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:41:21 +1300 was when "BTMO"
    >>><> said Blah blah blah...

    >>>Funny you say that, that's what killed Shortwave radio for me.

    >>What killed shortwave radio for me was the interference, the old
    >>computers were very noisy (radio interference wise), my XT could
    >>be heard a block away when the monitor was running.

    > in waitara?

    Do you reckon Adder is PD ?
    Alex Axolotl, Dec 12, 2004
  18. thing

    Timmers Guest

    Is there not a min age for using CB's of both 26mhz/side band as well as
    UHF?

    I am sure it is 15years old, if so no wonder nobody wants to use CB with all
    these kids parents buying them for x-mas etc.
    Be sure there is also regulations of use that go with them, and fines that
    can follow!
    Dick Smith will never tell you as they only want your $$.
    Keen to know what you do :)

    Timmers, Dec 12, 2004
  19. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:38:16 +1300, Timmers <> wrote
    in <news:1sTud.24529$>:

    > Is there not a min age for using CB's of both 26mhz/side band as well as
    > UHF?
    >
    > I am sure it is 15years old, if so no wonder nobody wants to use CB with all
    > these kids parents buying them for x-mas etc.
    > Be sure there is also regulations of use that go with them, and fines that
    > can follow!
    > Dick Smith will never tell you as they only want your $$.
    > Keen to know what you do :)

    I suggest you invest in a copy of the Radio Regulations.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas. (20 years a CB'er until 1987)

    ....How much of what we see is caused by what we expect?
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 12, 2004
  20. thing

    Nomad Damon Guest

    On , , Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:14:17 +1300, Re: CB radio in
    Wellington, Alex Axolotl <> wrote:

    >Adder wrote:
    >> In article <> in nz.tech on
    >> Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:56:25 +1300, Nomad Damon <> says...
    >>
    >>>On , , Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:39:24 +1300, Re: CB radio in
    >>>Wellington, Waylon Kenning <>

    >>>What killed shortwave radio for me was the interference, the old
    >>>computers were very noisy (radio interference wise), my XT could
    >>>be heard a block away when the monitor was running.

    >> in waitara?

    >Do you reckon Adder is PD ?

    Whoever they are they're a bloody bad stalker!
    Nomad Damon, Dec 13, 2004