Cause Canon SD30 to behave like a USB disk drive?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Arnstein, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. I just obtained a Canon SD30 camera and I am learning how to use it. I
    have already installed all the PC software that accompanied the
    camera. I don't like it.

    The other digital cameras that I have used all had the property that
    when I connected them to my PC, the PC "saw" the camera as a USB "mass
    storage device." In other words, a disk drive. I prefer this
    behavior. I can use whatever software I want to manipulate photos
    inside the camera (on its SD memory card). I can use Windows explorer,
    command line tools like "CP" and "DEL," and my preferred photo
    software such as Thumbs Plus and Photoshop Elements.

    This is what I would like to do with the SD30. But I can't figure out
    how to do it. When I do the connection camera->cradle->PC, my PC
    "sees" the camera as a "camera", not as a "mass storage device." I
    cannot view, copy or delete images in the camera without launching
    Canon's crappy software.

    Any suggestions?
    --
    David Arnstein |

    David Arnstein, Nov 10, 2005

  2. David Arnstein

    U-Know-Who Guest

    Go into the camera menus and try looking at the USB settings. My DSC H1 came
    out of the box set as a webcam. It also would not connect properly, but gave
    me a USB error as I had not installed the garbage software that came with
    it.

    U-Know-Who, Nov 10, 2005

  3. David Arnstein

    Jim Guest

    "U-Know-Who" <> wrote in message
    > Go into the camera menus and try looking at the USB settings. My DSC H1
    > came out of the box set as a webcam. It also would not connect properly,
    > but gave me a USB error as I had not installed the garbage software that
    > came with it.
    >

    > "David Arnstein" <> wrote in message
    >>I just obtained a Canon SD30 camera and I am learning how to use it. I
    >> have already installed all the PC software that accompanied the
    >> camera. I don't like it.
    >>
    >> The other digital cameras that I have used all had the property that
    >> when I connected them to my PC, the PC "saw" the camera as a USB "mass
    >> storage device." In other words, a disk drive. I prefer this
    >> behavior. I can use whatever software I want to manipulate photos
    >> inside the camera (on its SD memory card). I can use Windows explorer,
    >> command line tools like "CP" and "DEL," and my preferred photo
    >> software such as Thumbs Plus and Photoshop Elements.
    >>
    >> This is what I would like to do with the SD30. But I can't figure out
    >> how to do it. When I do the connection camera->cradle->PC, my PC
    >> "sees" the camera as a "camera", not as a "mass storage device." I
    >> cannot view, copy or delete images in the camera without launching
    >> Canon's crappy software.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> --
    >> David Arnstein |

    Use a card reader. Forget about all of that sorry software.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 11, 2005
  4. David Arnstein

    Guest

    Another option is to buy a card reader suitable for your PC and camera
    and bypass the camera completely. Eliminates a lot of headaches.

    , Nov 11, 2005
  5. David Arnstein

    Mark B. Guest

    Use a card reader as others have suggested. Leave it permanently attached
    to the PC, and no worries about the camera batteries going out in the middle
    of an operation.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 11, 2005
  6. writes:

    >This is what I would like to do with the SD30. But I can't figure out
    >how to do it. When I do the connection camera->cradle->PC, my PC
    >"sees" the camera as a "camera", not as a "mass storage device." I
    >cannot view, copy or delete images in the camera without launching
    >Canon's crappy software.

    You can't have exactly what you want. Canon cameras do not emulate a
    USB mass storage device. Period.

    However, if the camera supports PTP, and you're running Windows XP, you
    should be able to use that to access the camera directly.

    Or use Breeze Downloader, which is free.

    Or do what everyone does eventually: buy a USB card reader.

    All 3 choices don't involve using Canon's software.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 11, 2005