    If so, what's the cost associated with the upgrade and any implications
    from an upgrade?
    , Oct 7, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :We acquire a few WS-C2948G-GE-TX and WS-C2948. Seems like they have
    :CatOS. Is it possible to change them to the more common typical IOS?

    Not according to the product overview.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps606/products_data_sheet09186a00801cfafe.htm

    The Cisco Catalyst 2948G-GE-TX uses the same feature-rich Cisco
    Catalyst OS software as the Cisco Catalyst 2948G, the Cisco
    Catalyst 2980G-A, and Cisco Catalyst 4000 Series switches.
    --
    Many food scientists have reported chocolate to be the single most
    craved food. -- Northwestern University, 2001
    Walter Roberson, Oct 7, 2005

  3. writes:
    >We acquire a few WS-C2948G-GE-TX and WS-C2948. Seems like they have
    >CatOS. Is it possible to change them to the more common typical IOS?
    >If so, what's the cost associated with the upgrade and any implications
    >from an upgrade?

    Nope, its a CatOS only switch. CatOS is pretty typical cisco for a few
    years ago, although I think they are stopping teaching it now-a-days.

    I have a few myself, its a nice product, and the latest CatOS work
    just as well as IOS, just different.
    Doug McIntyre, Oct 7, 2005
  4. ESM Guest

    The 6500 series still ships with CatOS on it, it's the only switch Cisco
    still ships this way. Up until fairly recently, the IOS for the 6500 series
    lacked many features, but today, it's getting closer to equivalency. IOS
    still lacks some basic items on this switch such as autoqos, which is the
    reason I still have CatOS on mine.

    Plus, when you run a 13 blade switch with 8 48 ports blades, its a hell of a
    lot easier to manage in CatOS as opposed to IOS.

    ESM, Oct 8, 2005
  5. www.BradReese.Com, Oct 8, 2005
  6. RJ45 Guest

    I had a WS-C2948G-GE-TX
    if you have access to cisco download area because you have a contract
    with Cisco you can only download CatOS software for that model of
    switch.
    you cannot install IOS on it.
    this is my experience.
    I had a bad experience with WS-C2948G-GE-TX.
    This switch won;t let certain broadcasts to pass.
    IT was impossibls for me to use dhcp on that switch.
    dhcp requests were filtered.
    I replaced it with 3 WS-C3750 connected in stack.

    Rick

    RJ45, Oct 10, 2005