    not in the iris. Has anyone here ever had luck using a reflector or even a
    separate light just to provide catch lights, but without adding significant
    front lighting to the subject? Or are those mutually exclusive?
    Peabody, Apr 2, 2013

  2. Peabody <> wrote:

    > Sometimes I use side lighting to get dramatic effects, particularly when
    > shooting men. But then there are no catchlights in the eyes, or at least
    > not in the iris. Has anyone here ever had luck using a reflector or even a
    > separate light just to provide catch lights, but without adding significant
    > front lighting to the subject? Or are those mutually exclusive?

    To add the maximum catch light with the minimum addition of front
    lighting use the smallest light source (such as an LED flashlight with
    reflector removed). Make its power no higher than needed for the
    catchlight by turning it down or moving it back.

    If you can turn it down low enough and the other light is strong
    enough your camera's pop up (or a hot shoe flash) might do the
    job. You can also mask a flash reflector by putting a card with a
    small hole in front of it.

    It would be better camouflaged by moving it off to the side of the
    side lighting, but not quite so far as to lose the catchlight.

    I've done some of these sometimes, and never found I couldn't with
    suitable trial and error make it work.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, May 4, 2013