    Thanks in advance,

    Luke Hendricks
    , Mar 3, 2006

  2. old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am stuck! I am trying to bring a Gateway FLEXAXTSTC BRO 733 back to
    > life after a hard-drive crash. It has no PS2 plugs, only USB. I have
    > a good USB keyboard & mouse plugged in, but the machine can't load far
    > enough to load its USB drivers to actually use them.
    >
    > Even right at the BIOS screen, when it says "press F1 to enter setup",
    > it does not detect the keypresses. Then, windows spends a while
    > the boot process to wait for a response from me. But I have no way to
    > give it a response - the mouse and keyboard aren't yet recognized!
    >
    > I cannot see a way around this - I hope somebody knows what to do!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    There are probably 2 ways to tackle your problem.
    1. A USB to Serial cable. IF you can find an old serial mouse.
    2. A floppy disk, with USB drivers on.
    That could possibly be found at www.bootdisk.com

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 07:50:00 -0800, lukehendricks wrote:

    > I am stuck! I am trying to bring a Gateway FLEXAXTSTC BRO 733 back to
    > life after a hard-drive crash. It has no PS2 plugs, only USB. I have
    > a good USB keyboard & mouse plugged in, but the machine can't load far
    > enough to load its USB drivers to actually use them.
    >
    > Even right at the BIOS screen, when it says "press F1 to enter setup",
    > it does not detect the keypresses. Then, windows spends a while
    > the boot process to wait for a response from me. But I have no way to
    > give it a response - the mouse and keyboard aren't yet recognized!
    >
    > I cannot see a way around this - I hope somebody knows what to do!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    If the PC was shipped with a USB keyboard only the BIOS should allow for
    legacy USB devices hence ther keyboard shouldn't need a driver.

    Meat Plow, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:48:06 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 07:50:00 -0800, lukehendricks wrote:
    >
    >> I am stuck! I am trying to bring a Gateway FLEXAXTSTC BRO 733 back to
    >> life after a hard-drive crash. It has no PS2 plugs, only USB. I have
    >> a good USB keyboard & mouse plugged in, but the machine can't load far
    >> enough to load its USB drivers to actually use them.
    >>
    >> Even right at the BIOS screen, when it says "press F1 to enter setup",
    >> it does not detect the keypresses. Then, windows spends a while
    >> the boot process to wait for a response from me. But I have no way to
    >> give it a response - the mouse and keyboard aren't yet recognized!
    >>
    >> I cannot see a way around this - I hope somebody knows what to do!
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>

    > If the PC was shipped with a USB keyboard only, the BIOS should allow
    > for legacy USB devices hence ther keyboard shouldn't need a driver.

    Forgot a comma.

    Meat Plow, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I am stuck! I am trying to bring a Gateway FLEXAXTSTC BRO 733 back to
    > life after a hard-drive crash. It has no PS2 plugs, only USB. I have
    > a good USB keyboard & mouse plugged in, but the machine can't load far
    > enough to load its USB drivers to actually use them.
    >
    > Even right at the BIOS screen, when it says "press F1 to enter setup",
    > it does not detect the keypresses. Then, windows spends a while
    > the boot process to wait for a response from me. But I have no way to
    > give it a response - the mouse and keyboard aren't yet recognized!
    >
    > I cannot see a way around this - I hope somebody knows what to do!

    Very interesting question. ie if it's USB PC only, then the bios should
    be automatically be set for detecting usb keyboard/mice. If not, then
    somebody really made a design mistake.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Ben Myers Guest

    Unplug the computer, open the case and look for a set of jumpers marked
    "CMOS CLEAR" or "CMOS RESET". If you find them, use a wide
    blade screwdriver to carefully bridge across them for a couple of seconds.
    Then start the computer and try tapping the F1 key.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Mar 4, 2006
  7. Guest

    Thank you all for your responses!

    I have never heard of that CMOS RESET, but it got me some good results.
    This problem is still plaguing me though. Thanks to the reset, the
    machine acknowledges the keyboard before windows loads. That enables
    me to start windows in safe mode - where the mouse and keyboard work
    fine! I check through the drivers in the Device Manager and everything
    seems to be in order, even the bus controller that the Add Hardware
    Wizard was concerned about. However, once I leave and try to reboot
    normally, I am faced with the same issue again. The mouse and keyboard
    become unresponsive while windows loads. The wizard is prompting me
    and I have no means of answering it.

    Can I...
    somehow preserve the driver settings from safe mode?
    change the order in which the drivers load, so that USB devices load
    before the bus controller? (or are they dependent on the bus
    controller?)
    specify the correct drivers from the command prompt?

    Or does anyone have another workaround?

    I am impressed with the level of expertise in here - thanks once more.
    , Mar 7, 2006
  8. Guest

    Well just in case anyone reading this thread in the future wonders what
    fixed it...

    a boot disk (floppy only, not CD) let me get to the command prompt with
    the keyboard working.
    reinstalling winME over the top of the old one freshened up the usb
    drivers.

    thanks again to all who offered advice.
    , Mar 7, 2006