Catch today's Dilbert...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WhzzKdd, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    WhzzKdd, Jan 26, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd

    sittingduck Guest

    sittingduck, Jan 26, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    WhzzKdd, Jan 26, 2007
  4. WhzzKdd

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Jan 26, 2007

    Michael Fierro, Jan 26, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd

    sittingduck Guest

    Michael Fierro wrote:

    > Why would a Linux dude like me get upset about that one? It just points out
    > that management ignores anything that they don't understand, even if it is
    > better/more intelligent.

    I didn't say Linux dude, I said "Linux Nazi". There's obviously a difference.

    sittingduck, Jan 26, 2007
  7. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:04:25 -0700, Michael Fierro wrote:

    > On Thursday 25 January 2007 07:00 pm, sittingduck ranted on thusly:
    >

    > http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20071832660125.gif
    >
    >> That should get our resident linux nazis' panties in a wad!

    > Why would a Linux dude like me get upset about that one? It just points
    > out that management ignores anything that they don't understand, even if
    > it is better/more intelligent.

    Exactly.

    > Sounds right to me...

    'Twas ever thus.

    http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061104

    "That may get the resident windows nazis panties in a wad" ;-)

    --
    Just when you think the wintrolls can't get any more stupid,
    up pops another one to prove you wrong.

    William Poaster, Jan 27, 2007
  8. WhzzKdd

    sittingduck Guest

    William Poaster wrote:

    > http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061104
    >
    > "That may get the resident windows nazis panties in a wad" ;-)

    Weak, very weak. It's not surprising that was the best you could come up with
    though, I don's see many widows users railing against linux.

    sittingduck, Jan 27, 2007
  9. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    sittingduck wrote:
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061104
    >>
    >> "That may get the resident windows nazis panties in a wad" ;-)

    > Weak, very weak. It's not surprising that was the best you could come
    > up with though, I don's see many widows users railing against linux.

    In fact, as a Windows user, I don't any reason to rail against any other OS.
    Every OS has it's strong points.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 27, 2007
  10. WhzzKdd

    Respondant Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:

    > sittingduck wrote:
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061104
    >>>
    >>> "That may get the resident windows nazis panties in a wad" ;-)

    >> Weak, very weak. It's not surprising that was the best you could come
    >> up with though, I don's see many widows users railing against linux.

    > In fact, as a Windows user, I don't any reason to rail against any
    > other OS. Every OS has it's strong points.

    Don't waste your time. The linux advocates have some kind of personality
    flaw that makes them feel as though they are somehow superior to us lowly
    Windows users. Like running linux requires "mad skillz", yo.

    While the fact remains that there are so many flavors of linux that it's
    more inconvenient than it is difficult, to get one set up exactly how you
    like it, and make it DO what you want it to DO, when you want to DO it,
    right off the bat.

    [space for linux advocates to call me st00pid]

    I just don't see why anyone cares what OS somebody else uses. I like
    Windows, others like linux. So what? Who gives a shit as long as we're all
    happy?

    Same thing with browsers. Who fuckin' cares? IE and Firefox are both far
    from perfect. Ya wanna "perfect" browser? Try Opera. That's as close as
    I've seen to "perfect"

    YMMV, of course.

    Respondant, Jan 27, 2007
  11. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:04:25 -0700, Michael Fierro wrote:

    > On Thursday 25 January 2007 07:00 pm, sittingduck ranted on thusly:
    >

    > http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20071832660125.gif
    >
    >> That should get our resident linux nazis' panties in a wad!

    > Why would a Linux dude like me get upset about that one? It just points
    > out that management ignores anything that they don't understand, even if
    > it is better/more intelligent.
    >
    > Sounds right to me...

    BTW, 'sittingduck' is just a jerk IMO. He's been binned ever since he came
    into 24.

    William Poaster, Jan 27, 2007
  12. WhzzKdd

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:10:20 +0000, William Poaster <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:04:25 -0700, Michael Fierro wrote:

    >> On Thursday 25 January 2007 07:00 pm, sittingduck ranted on thusly:
    >>

    >> http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20071832660125.gif
    >>
    >>> That should get our resident linux nazis' panties in a wad!

    >> Why would a Linux dude like me get upset about that one? It just points
    >> out that management ignores anything that they don't understand, even if
    >> it is better/more intelligent.
    >>
    >> Sounds right to me...

    >BTW, 'sittingduck' is just a jerk IMO. He's been binned ever since he came
    >into 24.

    Maybe he/she/it just doesn't have what it takes to run Linux. Dunno why, though.
    It isn't *that* hard. :)

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Jan 27, 2007
  13. On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:35:33 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:10:20 +0000, William Poaster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:04:25 -0700, Michael Fierro wrote:

    >>> On Thursday 25 January 2007 07:00 pm, sittingduck ranted on thusly:
    >>>

    >>> http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20071832660125.gif

    >>> Why would a Linux dude like me get upset about that one? It just points
    >>> out that management ignores anything that they don't understand, even
    >>> if it is better/more intelligent.
    >>>
    >>> Sounds right to me...

    >>BTW, 'sittingduck' is just a jerk IMO. He's been binned ever since he
    >>came into 24.

    > Maybe he/she/it just doesn't have what it takes to run Linux. Dunno why,
    > though. It isn't *that* hard. :)

    Oh, you'd be surprised with what excuses some windows users (trolls
    usually) come up with as to why they can't install/run linux.
    They come across as *so* clueless, you really begin to wonder if someone
    else switches their machines on for them, & could they find their own ass
    with both hands. F*ck knows how they learnt anything at school, or maybe
    they didn't....

    --
    Just when you think the trolls can't get any more stupid,
    http://bugzilla.assholes.org/show_trolls_stupidity.cgi?id=123809

    William Poaster, Jan 27, 2007
  14. WhzzKdd

    sittingduck Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > Maybe he/she/it just doesn't have what it takes to run Linux. Dunno why,
    > though. It isn't *that* hard. :)

    No, it isn't. I have linux on this machine right now. Does that mean I have
    to hate windows? I think not. The problem with linux is that it's best for
    servers, and people with limited software needs. What I do with my desktop
    machines, linux is poorly suited for.

    sittingduck, Jan 28, 2007
  15. WhzzKdd

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:53:43 +0000, William Poaster <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >Oh, you'd be surprised with what excuses some windows users (trolls
    >usually) come up with as to why they can't install/run linux.
    >They come across as *so* clueless, you really begin to wonder if someone
    >else switches their machines on for them, & could they find their own ass
    >with both hands. F*ck knows how they learnt anything at school, or maybe
    >they didn't....

    Well, obviously they lerned how to tipe....

    <gd&r>

    Mara, Jan 28, 2007

    Michael Fierro, Jan 28, 2007
  17. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    sittingduck wrote:
    > Mara wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe he/she/it just doesn't have what it takes to run Linux. Dunno
    >> why, though. It isn't *that* hard. :)

    > No, it isn't. I have linux on this machine right now. Does that mean
    > I have to hate windows? I think not. The problem with linux is that
    > it's best for servers, and people with limited software needs. What I
    > do with my desktop machines, linux is poorly suited for.

    In my case, the CAD program, DTP programs, etc. that I use on a daily basis
    do not have Linux versions. And since I must maintain file compatibility
    with my customers and suppliers, I've pretty much had to rule out
    alternative software solutions.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007
  18. WhzzKdd

    sittingduck Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:

    > In my case, the CAD program, DTP programs, etc. that I use on a daily
    > basis do not have Linux versions. And since I must maintain file
    > compatibility with my customers and suppliers, I've pretty much had to
    > rule out alternative software solutions.

    CAD/CAM is one area where linux lacks bigtime. This is probably the main
    reason I don't use it more. I love open source stuff, but I just have too
    many programs that would be difficult or impossible to find adequate
    replacements for if I wanted to use linux.

    sittingduck, Jan 28, 2007
  19. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    sittingduck wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> In my case, the CAD program, DTP programs, etc. that I use on a daily
    >> basis do not have Linux versions. And since I must maintain file
    >> compatibility with my customers and suppliers, I've pretty much had
    >> to rule out alternative software solutions.

    > CAD/CAM is one area where linux lacks bigtime. This is probably the
    > main reason I don't use it more. I love open source stuff, but I just
    > have too many programs that would be difficult or impossible to find
    > adequate replacements for if I wanted to use linux.

    Yeah - as scary as it sounds, the new 24 foot long CNC router we just
    purchased at work came with Windows XP installed. Can't wait to see what
    happens when it crashes <grin>

    One project we built many years ago was programmed in BASIC. The engineer
    did the math and code, I assisted with integration into the system. We got
    ONE instruction in the wrong place. The 8" circular carbide cutter head
    moved forward before it was past the mounting plates of the machine that
    were actually holding the wood. The plates were steel. Big plates of steel,
    high-speed carbide cutting head, bad timing error...made quite a show as the
    pieces went flying <g>! We, of course, hit the deck like our lives depended
    on it...something I'll never forget :)

    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007
  20. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    WhzzKdd <> Thou perjured woman. Thou clack-dish.
    Thou whoreson devil. Thou fairy motion. Ye cussed and ye apple-polished:

    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007