catalyst-vlan router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jeroen, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Jeroen

    Jeroen Guest

    List,

    I've a cisco 2600 and catalyst 2900. I'm using VLan on our management net
    (we're an isp).
    But we're using it to backup the servers too.
    But the backup-server is in vlan 2 en all the other servers in VLAN
    3,4,5,etc. etc.
    So through the router the backupserver makes a connection to the servers. So
    far soo good... (because the servers can not reach eachother through the
    management net)

    backupserver VLAN2 --------------------|

    | switch -------------------trunking ------router dot1q encap
    server1 vlan10 ---------------------|-
    server2 vlan11 ---------------------|

    But the speed, when it all was on my catalyst was maximam 90Mbit (so, that's
    fine for a 100Mbit network)
    But now the speed is less dan 50Mbit... Yes it goed through the router and
    back through the same Fastethernet Interface...

    Wel I've two plans to fix this.

    1. I add an extra FA in my cisco 2600 en connect my backup server to it... I
    should get better performance, shouldn;t it?

    2. Can I upgrade my switch en router to an more expensive version so the
    traffic goed through my switch and not through my router. Can';t you make
    the router say... Port 3 and 4 may connect..... Some switches are to be more
    router switches aren't they?

    Jeroen
    Jeroen, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Hi,

    The fact you're getting 50Mbps is a good thing on the 2600 series routers,
    it won't do much more!.

    Adding an extra interface to the router will not increase routing
    performance as it's not the physical port that is the bottleneck here, it's
    the routers cpu.
    You might want to consider getting a layer-3 switch like the Catalyst 3550
    series. They do routing in hardware and you should get near wirespeed
    performance out of it. Keep in mind that layer-3 switches do support routing
    but do not support all of the features a router supports (nat, intelligent
    firewalling (it does support access-lists though), ....)

    Succes,

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Dec 21, 2003