Catalyst IOS Versioning

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David Jones, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    This piggy-backs on my question comparing Set vs. IOS-based switches.
    It came to me a few hours after my original post.

    What version of IOS do most Catalyst switches run? I have seen
    everything from 9.00.00 to 12.3 and I don't know what applies to what.

    I seem to remember hearing, in my limited Cisco training, that they
    didn't really run IOS, but something similar. Is this correct? Could
    someone please shed some light on the subject.

    I do realize that the software on the routers serves a toatlly
    different purpose than the software on the switches. They are, in
    fact, totally different devices. However, the software, IOS, sets, etc
    has confused me rather well. :)

    Any clarification anyone might have to offer would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks ~ David

    David Jones, Oct 21, 2003

  2. David Jones wrote:

    > I seem to remember hearing, in my limited Cisco training, that they
    > didn't really run IOS, but something similar. Is this correct? Could
    > someone please shed some light on the subject.

    Some switches / supervisor modules run CatOS, some run IOS, some can be
    converted from CatOS to IOS and some can't. It varies.
    Cisco has a tool for converting switch configuration from CatOS to IOS.
    The version numbers used for switch-IOS' do not necessarily correlate to the
    ones used in routers.

    Hope this clarified a bit :)

    Bjørn Djupvik, Oct 21, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    David Jones <> wrote:
    :What version of IOS do most Catalyst switches run? I have seen
    :everything from 9.00.00 to 12.3 and I don't know what applies to what.

    The ones that run IOS at all, run IOS versions that are contemporary
    to other Cisco IOS devices.

    For example, if one were to find that a 2900 supported was supported
    under 10.2 to 12.0, it would be because 10.2 was the IOS version number
    when the 2900's went into production, and 12.0 was the IOS version
    number at the time they stopped making new IOS versions for the device.

    What you need to know, though, is that (say) IOS 12.2XA might not have
    much even -close- to the features of (say) IOS 12.2KZ . If there are
    letters (other than 'T') in the IOS version number, then it's probably
    a special-purpose IOS version that might be very stripped down.. or
    might have all the bells and whistles for a new model that works
    fairly differently than other devices.
    --
    Admit it -- you peeked ahead to find out how this message ends!

    Walter Roberson, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Program ended abnormally on 21/10/2003 14:55, Due to a catastrophic
    David Jones error:
    > This piggy-backs on my question comparing Set vs. IOS-based switches.
    > It came to me a few hours after my original post.
    >
    > What version of IOS do most Catalyst switches run? I have seen
    > everything from 9.00.00 to 12.3 and I don't know what applies to what.

    It depends on the model.

    The 1900 series has firmware versions around 9.00.x or less.

    Cat0S is at version 8.x.x or less.

    CatIOS is at version 12.x.x, similar to the router IOS.

    --
    Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
    flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never

    Francois Labreque, Oct 22, 2003