    What does the 100BASE-X stand for? I haven't understood whether SFP can accept both Ethernet plugs and SFP plugs.

    TIA

    Alex.
    AM, Aug 23, 2006

  2. AM

    Guest

    AM wrote:
    > I'm choosing the line cards for a Catalyst 4506.
    > I want to install a non powered 48 ports module and 2 cards with PoE.
    > Looking at the card WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 Cisco says
    >
    > "Bandwidth is allocated across six 8-port groups, providing 1 Gbps per port group"

    Each 4506 linecard has 6 x 1GB links to the switch fabric.
    So a 48 port card has ports 1 - 8 hard wired to one link etc.
    The only exception is the SE whose two ports each have 1G to the
    backplane
    and are uncontended.

    > Moreover, I saw the card
    >
    > WS-X4248-FE-SFP= (Catalyst 4500 48-Port 100BASE-X (SFPs Optional))
    >
    > What does the 100BASE-X stand for? I haven't understood whether SFP can accept both Ethernet plugs and SFP plugs.

    100 M Ethernet [One Hundred]. You don't want it I guess.

    SFP sockets were discussed by me recently here. "anybody43".
    , Aug 23, 2006

  3. AM <> writes:
    >WS-X4248-FE-SFP= (Catalyst 4500 48-Port 100BASE-X (SFPs Optional))

    >What does the 100BASE-X stand for? I haven't understood whether SFP
    >can accept both Ethernet plugs and SFP plugs.

    -X stands for unknown, plug something in to have it become what you plugin.

    Ie. if you want -FX, plug in a FX SFP. If you need LX10, plug in an LX10 SFP.
    Thus, you'll be buying a whole bagful of SFPs as well.

    There's a picture of one here
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

    Its designed for people doing alot of mixed media 100-Mbps fiber connections.

    You can buy copper SFP parts (not sure if they have any that works on
    this card), but its alot more espensive than just buying the stock
    WS-X4148-RJ line card.
    Doug McIntyre, Aug 23, 2006