Catalyst 6500 Native IOS question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Alex Zhilyakov, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I'm planning to upgrade my Catalyst 6506 from Hybrid CatOS+IOS to
    Native IOS. I was trying to find if my hardware supports Native IOS,
    but unfortunately the only document I found says that my
    WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE is not supported by Native IOS (which is pretty wierd
    after all cisco tendencies to drop catos). Did anyone with same
    hardware succeed in runing native ios on this platform? You answers
    will be higly appreciated. Here is 'sh mod' from my switch:

    Console> (enable) sh mod
    Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub
    Status
    --- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- ---
    --------
    1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE yes ok
    15 1 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC2 no ok
    4 4 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6248-RJ-45 no ok

    Mod Sub-Type Sub-Model Sub-Serial Sub-Hw
    --- ----------------------- ------------------- ----------- ------
    1 L3 Switching Engine WS-F6K-PFC SAD954313GU 1.1

    Plus there are two 5483 GBICs for copper gigabit ethernet.

    Also, what's the best choice IOS nowadays? 12.1(11)E1a?

    -Alex

    Alex Zhilyakov, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Alex Zhilyakov

    Malhar Shah Guest

    hi alex,

    you should look for c6sup11-* images.

    regarding what is the best IOS on 12.1, its hard to tell.. you should
    choose the best IOS based on your current (and near future) feature
    requirements..

    hope this helps

    -malhar

    Malhar Shah, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Alex Zhilyakov

    Michael Ryan Guest

    I was "told" in a Cisco class this week, that the SUP1A's support Native IOS
    as long as they have the MSFC installed. Now I'm wondering...

    Michael Ryan, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Alex Zhilyakov

    Guest Guest

    Alex Zhilyakov <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm planning to upgrade my Catalyst 6506 from Hybrid CatOS+IOS to
    > Native IOS. I was trying to find if my hardware supports Native IOS,
    > but unfortunately the only document I found says that my
    > WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE is not supported by Native IOS (which is pretty wierd
    > after all cisco tendencies to drop catos). Did anyone with same
    > hardware succeed in runing native ios on this platform? You answers
    > will be higly appreciated. Here is 'sh mod' from my switch:
    >
    > Console> (enable) sh mod
    > Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub
    > Status
    > --- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- ---
    > --------
    > 1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE yes ok
    > 15 1 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC2 no ok
    > 4 4 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6248-RJ-45 no ok
    >
    > Mod Sub-Type Sub-Model Sub-Serial Sub-Hw
    > --- ----------------------- ------------------- ----------- ------
    > 1 L3 Switching Engine WS-F6K-PFC SAD954313GU 1.1

    Alex,
    No problem to upgrade your hardware from hybride to native IOS. Right now
    you use catos (ex: cat6000-supk8.7-6-1.bin) then you boot msfc2 once sup1a
    is booted (ex: c6msfc-jsv-mz.121-19.E11). With native IOS you will boot with
    c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-19.E.bin (you have to use -19 at least). The problem
    is size of image:
    catos takes 10Mb, IOS hybride 14Mb and you have 16Mb flashboot on sup1a
    and 16Mb on msfc2. you will have to use pcmcia 24Mb (only. don't buy more.
    it doesn't work) and boot from slot0: IOS native 17Mb.

    url:

    Octave

    Guest, Feb 2, 2004