Catalyst 5500 - Modules ??

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Brian Ipsen, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. Brian Ipsen

    Brian Ipsen Guest

    Hi,

    I just got my hands on a Catalyst 5500 switch - and I've been asked to
    upgrade it with more ports.

    The chassis has 13 slots, where slot 1 & 2 has been used for Supervisor II
    modules ... Another slot is used for the Router (layer 3) module .. Besides
    this, another 4 slots are occupied...

    So slots 8-13 are available - but as far as I remember, one or more of the
    slots can only be used for certain type of modules (slot 13 seem to have a
    special connector on the backplane).

    Can I polulate slot 8-12 with e.g. WS-X 5224 modules - and everything will
    work (all added ports will be available) ??

    Regards,

    /Brian

    Brian Ipsen, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Hello, Brian!
    You wrote on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:34:54 +0100:

    BI> The chassis has 13 slots, where slot 1 & 2 has been used for
    BI> Supervisor II modules ...

    BI> Another slot is used for the Router (layer 3) module .. Besides this,
    BI> another 4 slots are occupied...

    BI> So slots 8-13 are available - but as far as I remember, one or
    BI> more of the slots can only be used for certain type of modules
    BI> (slot 13 seem to have a special connector on the backplane).

    BI> Can I polulate slot 8-12 with e.g. WS-X 5224 modules - and
    BI> everything will work (all added ports will be available) ??

    Here is part of Catalyst 5500 Switching System Data Sheet

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_data_sheet09186a008009260b.html

    The Catalyst 5500 is a 13-slot chassis with two dedicated slots---slots 1 and
    13. Slot 1 is dedicated for the Supervisor Engine that monitors all system
    components and is responsible for all frame-switching and forwarding functions
    in the switch. Supervisor Engine II or Supervisor III is required for operation
    of the Catalyst 5500. A Supervisor II is a 1.2Gbps switch fabric. A Supervisor
    III is a 3.6Gbps crossbar switching fabric. Slot 13 is the second dedicated slot
    and is reserved for the LS1010 ATM Switch Processor (ASP) module or Catalyst
    8510 Switch Route Processor (SRP). The ASP or SRP modules are 10Gbps switching
    fabrics and are required if interface modules from the LightStream 1010 or
    Catalyst 8510 are to be used in the Catalyst 5500.

    The Catalyst 5500 architecture is based on a combination of two high-capacity
    switching fabrics integrated into a single platform. This architecture ensures
    optimal performance whether the Catalyst 5500 is used as a high-density cell or
    a frame switch. All Catalyst 5000 Family interface modules can be used in slots
    2 to 12, whereas LightStream 1010 or Catalyst 8510 modules can be used in slots
    9 to 12. Slot 2 is a dual-purpose slot that can be used for either a redundant
    Supervisor Engine or any Catalyst 5000 family interface module.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Jan 31, 2005