catalyst 5000 max mtu / vlan

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Piotr Kowalczyk, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I'm trying to brigde some 802.1q tagged traffic transparently through my
    Catalyst 5000.

    My configuration includes just:

    set vlan 100 name Tnet1LanBridge type ethernet mtu 1536 said 100100
    state active
    set vlan 100 1/2 (fibre)
    set vlan 100 5/2 (copper)

    I don't want to create all VLANs on this switch and do trunks (though I
    know I can). I just want to use it as copper<->fiber converter.

    But the switch doesn't pass frames bigger then max. standard ethernet
    frame. Small frames are OK, but normal (1500) ethernet frame + 802.1q
    header is just too much, and the traffic stucks. I've set vlan mtu to
    1536, but it doesn't help. Is there any way to overcome this problem?
    Oh... and setting smaller mtu size on both ends is inpossible for me.

    Thanks for your help,

    --Piotr Kowalczyk
    Piotr Kowalczyk, Oct 12, 2005