    sits in a separate management vlan.
    thanks in advance
    John
    John Ireland, May 9, 2004

  2. John Ireland

    mh Guest

    Having a separate VLAN for management is a good idea. Do not use VLAN 1.

    The managment VLAN has to be enabled on all of the dot1q trunks.

    Are you sure you want to use the topology indicated ?
    You would be better off to dual home each 4500 to the 6500 core switches.
    mh, May 9, 2004

  3. John Ireland

    Javier Guest

    You should set up the management VLAN manually on each box. I als
    suggest NOT using VLAN1 (for security reasons).

    This is Layer-2, so the loopback interfaces have nothing to do here. A
    long as you can reach them "physically" (layer-2) the routing take
    care of the rest (layer-3).

    John Ireland wrote:
    > *Hi All
    > we are planning the following topology, with dot1q trunks betwee
    > each
    > catalyst;
    >
    > cat6500supII(core)----cat4500supIV-----cat4500supIV-----cat4500supIV--4500supIV-----cat6500supII(core)---(then
    > back to above cat6500supII)
    >
    > considering Cat4500 sup IV's are running IOS and don't have a sc0
    > management interface like catOS switches do you still need to run a
    > management vlan through the trunks (along with the user data vlan
    > or
    > do you just give the them ip addresses on their loopback
    > interfaces
    > ? Do the loopback interfaces sit in the managment vlan ? I am trying
    > to understand how to setup the Sup IV's taking into consideratio
    > the
    > way we have several cat 4006 sup II's setup where their sc
    > interface
    > sits in a separate management vlan.
    > thanks in advance
    > John