Catalyst 4003 port speeds

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Lovejoy, Apr 30, 2007.

  1. Lovejoy

    Lovejoy Guest

    I have a strange issue going on with my Cat 4003 and an old Sun box.
    The problem is this....One interface, .44 vlan, on the Sun auto-syncs
    up on the switch at 100 full, while the second, .64 vlan, auto-syncs at
    100 half. If I force the switch port to be 100 full, I get all kinds
    of fcs, xmit and rcv errors. The sun box admin checks the interfaces
    and says they are both running at 100 full, while the switch port says
    the .64 is only 100 half. The Sun box has been configured to only run
    at 10 full. I know that Sun was supposedly notorious for not playing
    nice with Cisco switches. It could be a bad nic in the Sun, but the
    admin says that both the .44 and .64 would be showing errors at the
    same time. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I believe
    what the switch is saying or the Sun box?

    TIA
    Lovejoy

    This space for lease....

    Lovejoy, Apr 30, 2007

  2. Lovejoy

    J.Cottingim Guest

    If your switch is set for auto, and it syncs up at 100/full or 100/
    half, this means the Sun box IS NOT set to only run at 10Mb/s.

    The switchport AND the NIC must match configuration...
    If you have the switch set for auto you MUST set the NIC for auto.
    If you have the NIC set for 10/half, you MUST set the switchport for
    10/half.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

    This goes for any NIC, not just Sun's.

    You will receive errors if they are not configured the same. Even if
    the switch negotiates to 100/full and the Sun box is set to 100/full,
    you will receive errors. I have no idea why, but it does.

    Match them up and be done with it.

    Good Luck
    JC

    J.Cottingim, Apr 30, 2007

  3. Lovejoy

    Lovejoy Guest

    Done.

    Thanks

    > Match them up and be done with it.
    >
    > Good Luck
    > JC

    This space for lease....

    Lovejoy, May 1, 2007
  4. Lovejoy

    selixd Guest

    On Apr 30, 9:05 am, Lovejoy <> wrote:
    > I have a strange issue going on with my Cat 4003 and an old Sun box.
    > The problem is this....One interface, .44 vlan, on the Sun auto-syncs
    > up on the switch at 100 full, while the second, .64 vlan, auto-syncs at
    > 100 half. If I force the switch port to be 100 full, I get all kinds
    > of fcs, xmit and rcv errors. The sun box admin checks the interfaces
    > and says they are both running at 100 full, while the switch port says
    > the .64 is only 100 half. The Sun box has been configured to only run
    > at 10 full. I know that Sun was supposedly notorious for not playing
    > nice with Cisco switches. It could be a bad nic in the Sun, but the
    > admin says that both the .44 and .64 would be showing errors at the
    > same time. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I believe
    > what the switch is saying or the Sun box?
    >
    > TIA
    > Lovejoy

    > This space for lease....

    You may also want to check the wire that's running between them. I
    have seen plenty of speed mismatches solved by swapping wires. It may
    not fix your problem but I have seen it help many times in the past.

    selixd, May 9, 2007