    --
    Rich

    http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-
    Rich, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Rich

    Chad Mahoney Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I configure one of the VLANs on my 3560 to be a DHCP server? For
    > example is it possible to have a VLAN say 192.168.11.x, and when a
    > client connects to that VLAN they are given an IP address in the range
    > 192.168.11.20 to 192.168.11.254? Have configured the switch via network
    > assistant, can't seem to find any reference to DHCP in it.
    >
    > I'm using inter VLAN routing if that affects anything.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Do you already have a DHCP server in your network? If so you can use the
    ip helper command to direct clients to that DHCP server even though it
    is on a different VLAN. You could just create another scope on the
    existing DHCP server for the VLAN 192.168.11.X.

    Just a thought>?
    Chad Mahoney, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "Chad Mahoney" <0ney.com> wrote in message
    > Rich wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can I configure one of the VLANs on my 3560 to be a DHCP server? For
    >> example is it possible to have a VLAN say 192.168.11.x, and when a client
    >> connects to that VLAN they are given an IP address in the range
    >> 192.168.11.20 to 192.168.11.254? Have configured the switch via network
    >> assistant, can't seem to find any reference to DHCP in it.
    >>
    >> I'm using inter VLAN routing if that affects anything.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > Do you already have a DHCP server in your network? If so you can use the
    > ip helper command to direct clients to that DHCP server even though it is
    > on a different VLAN. You could just create another scope on the existing
    > DHCP server for the VLAN 192.168.11.X.
    >

    > Just a thought>?

    I've got a couple of Windows Server 2003 DHCP servers on different VLANs,
    does the helper command act as a DHCP relay?

    Rich, Jun 12, 2007
  4. yes it will. Just place the ip helper-address my.dhcp.server.ip

    Its me Earnest T., Jun 12, 2007
  5. Rich

    Scott Perry Guest

    This is how you configure DHCP on a Cisco IOS device:

    Start by going to the Cisco website,
    click on support
    click on documentation
    click on Cisco IOS software
    click on any IOS family that you desire
    click on Configuration Guides
    click on Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide
    click on "New Feature: DHCP Server - On-Demand Address Pool Manager
    (12.2(8)T document)" under "Chapter: Configuring DHCP"

    Scott Perry
    Indianapolis, Indiana

    Scott Perry, Jun 13, 2007