    *

    Thanks,
    John.

    JohnNews, Nov 19, 2003

  2. In article <qAMub.49758$Dw6.257139@attbi_s02>,
    JohnNews <> wrote:
    :I recently purchased a NEW Catalyst 3550-24-SMI Switch from an Ebay vendor
    :for $2000. The switch came with 2 empty GBIC Module slots.

    :* Is it normal for me to have to purchase two 1000baseT Gbic modules even
    :after $2000 ?

    What did the vendor advertise? The 3550 normally ships without GBIC
    modules.

    :* Does Cisco provide any free tools/utilities to help with configuration
    :eek:f the switch ?

    As I recall, Yes.

    Question, though: was the Ebay vendor an authorized Cisco VAR?
    Because if not then Cisco would not consider you to have an authorized
    IOS license, which would likely turn out to be a big problem later.

    --
    We don't need no side effect-ing
    We don't need no scope control

    Walter Roberson, Nov 19, 2003

  3. JohnNews

    JohnNews Guest

    Hello:

    What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from Ebay.

    Thanks,
    John.

    JohnNews, Nov 19, 2003
  4. In article <1bSub.247714$HS4.2190341@attbi_s01>,
    JohnNews <> wrote:
    :What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from Ebay.

    I wouldn't know -- Ebay crashes my browser so I seldom even look
    there. And copyrights and licenses are often a problem with items
    bought on Ebay, and I don't need that kind of trouble.

    You have to know what -kind- of GBIC you want. The most common kind
    is to drive SX over multimode fibre; the Cisco part number for that
    is WS-G5484= . Those would often be used for LAN connections.
    LX/LH over singlemode is also not uncommon; those would often be used
    fro WAN conections. SZ is not all the common; those would be used
    for very long distance WAN connections.

    You also need to decide what quality parameters you want. You can get
    GBICs new, used, or refurbished, and you can get Cisco-made GBICs, or
    Cisco-certified GBICs, or uncertified GBICs. The prices will vary quite
    a bit depending on what combination you go for.

    For example, at dealtime,
    http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xPC-Cisco_GBIC_1000BASE_SX_WS_G5484~S-2~PG-1
    the prices for the WS-G5484= vary from $US63 to $US367.32 . The higher
    priced modules are more likely Cisco-made; the mid-priced modules are
    more likely Cisco-certified; the low-priced modules are more likely
    uncertified. But you can't be sure without contacting the vendor and
    asking (and getting the answer in writing!): occasionally the really
    cheap modules are full quality Cisco-made ones, dumped on the market
    when some dot-com went bust.

    In some environments, in some situations, an uncertified GBIC will work
    just fine; if you can afford the -possibility- that a connection might
    be a bit marginal, then going for a cheap GBIC could easily save you a lot
    of money. If the connection is mission-critical then you'll want
    a Cisco-made one, and you'll want a spare on-hand too (GBICs burn out
    sometimes.)

    For our networks, we have a mix of Cisco-made GBICs and some OEM'd
    by Agilent; we haven't had any problems with the Agilent's yet.
    (On the other hand, we have had a few IBM-made SX GBICs burn out on
    our Exchange cluster.)
    --
    Reviewers should be required to produce a certain number of
    negative reviews - like police given quotas for handing out

    Walter Roberson, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Hi John !

    JohnNews wrote:
    > What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from Ebay.

    For present moment, about 100 US$, rather slightly less for many at 110
    US$ have no bid at all. I would rather say at about 80 at last.

    Best regards.

    Eric LEMAITRE, Nov 20, 2003
  6. I picked up 4 used, multimode fiber GBIC modules (SX type) in good condition
    recently for $30/ea ($120 for 4).

    Robert

    Bob by The Bay, Nov 20, 2003
  7. JohnNews

    JohnNews Guest

    Bob:

    Where did you buy the modules. Thanks in advance.

    Thanks,
    John.

    JohnNews, Nov 20, 2003
  8. John,
    I found them at a monthly electronics swap meet that frequently has Cisco
    bits. But I went online to verify prices prior to the purchase and the
    prices I paid were inline with those I found on eBay at the time. I saved a
    little due to not having to pay shipping. The label on my Cisco GBICs shows
    "30-0759-01" and "1000BASE-SX". These use SC connectors on the multimode
    fiber patch cords.

    Robert

    Bob by The Bay, Nov 20, 2003
  9. JohnNews

    Jason Payne Guest

    All,

    Hello, my name is Jason Payne and I am with Maxis Technologies. I was
    reading over this thread and I noticed John was interested in
    purchasing some GBIC modules. John, if you haven't purchased these
    yet, and you have decided on what you would like to purchase, please
    contact me and I can quote you what I have available to me. Maxis
    Technologies is a purchaser and reseller of New, used, and refurbished
    Cisco, Cerent, Lucent, 3Com, USR/Total Control, and many other brands.
    If any of you have any requests, please feel free to contact me
    anytime and I will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you very
    much for your time, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Best Regards,
    Jason Payne
    Maxis Technologies, Inc
    433 W. Wilshire Blvd. Ste 2B