Catalyst 3550 refuses to reload!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by karstenf@nexgo.de, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    i get the following message if i type "reload" :

    ----
    SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature
    in flash:.
    %SIGNATURE-3-ABORT_OPER: %ERROR: Aborting reload.
    ----

    ios is :c3550-ipservices-mz.122-25.SEC2

    Furthermore there seems to be a problem with the nvram "dir nvram" shows:

    ----
    Directory of nvram:/

    %Error opening nvram:/ (Function not implemented)

    ----

    Any suggestions?

    I think the only way to solve this issue is to manually power-cycle the
    switch!?

    Thanks,

    Karsten

    , Jun 23, 2007

  2. Merv Guest

    On Jun 23, 12:28 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > i get the following message if i type "reload" :
    >
    > ----
    > SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature
    > in flash:.
    > %SIGNATURE-3-ABORT_OPER: %ERROR: Aborting reload.
    > ----
    >
    > ios is :c3550-ipservices-mz.122-25.SEC2
    >
    > Furthermore there seems to be a problem with the nvram "dir nvram" shows:
    >
    > ----
    > Directory of nvram:/
    >
    > %Error opening nvram:/ (Function not implemented)
    >
    > ----
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I think the only way to solve this issue is to manually power-cycle the
    > switch!?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Karsten

    %SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS : %ERROR: Not able to process
    Signature in [chars].

    Explanation An unknown error occurred when the system attempted to
    process the signature in the specified image file. A valid signature
    ensures the integrity of the image.

    Recommended Action Do not use this file. The file might be
    corrupted or modified. Attempt to copy the file again, or download the
    file again from the http://www.cisco.com page before copying it. If
    this message recurs, open a case with the Technical Assistance Center
    via the Internet at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/front.x/case_tools/caseOpen.pl,
    or contact your Cisco technical support representative and provide the
    representative with the information you have gathered. Attach the
    following information to your case in nonzipped, plain-text (.txt)
    format: the output of the show logging and show tech-support commands
    and your pertinent troubleshooting logs.

    Merv, Jun 23, 2007

  3. Guest

    Merv wrote:

    > %SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS : %ERROR: Not able to process
    > Signature in [chars].
    >
    > Explanation An unknown error occurred when the system attempted to
    > process the signature in the specified image file. A valid signature
    > ensures the integrity of the image.

    [...]

    Hello, i saw this documentation page too. But what does it mean??
    I originally posted:

    SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature
    in flash:.
    ^^
    The error wasn't linked to a specific file.

    I also checked the ios image located on the flash with the "verify"
    command, it was o.k.

    Furthermore i formatted the whole flash and downloaded a fresh image
    from cisco.com and copied it to the flash.

    But all there things didn't solv the problem: The above error-message
    occured each time i typed in the "reload" command.

    Perhaps there was a problem with the process handling the filesystems on
    the switch. As stated before, i could't access the nvram: filesystem
    properly.

    Karsten

    , Jun 23, 2007
  4. Merv Guest

    On Jun 23, 6:14 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > Merv wrote:
    > > %SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS : %ERROR: Not able to process
    > > Signature in [chars].

    > > Explanation An unknown error occurred when the system attempted to
    > > process the signature in the specified image file. A valid signature
    > > ensures the integrity of the image.

    > [...]
    >
    > Hello, i saw this documentation page too. But what does it mean??
    > I originally posted:
    >
    > SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature
    > in flash:.
    > ^^
    > The error wasn't linked to a specific file.
    >
    > I also checked the ios image located on the flash with the "verify"
    > command, it was o.k.
    >
    > Furthermore i formatted the whole flash and downloaded a fresh image
    > from cisco.com and copied it to the flash.
    >
    > But all there things didn't solv the problem: The above error-message
    > occured each time i typed in the "reload" command.
    >
    > Perhaps there was a problem with the process handling the filesystems on
    > the switch. As stated before, i could't access the nvram: filesystem
    > properly.
    >
    > Karsten

    Perhaps you can provide some additional background info.

    Is this the first time you have trued to reload this switch with this
    IOS image

    Has the image been changed recently, etc

    Merv, Jun 24, 2007
  5. Merv Guest

    dir nvram: may not be a valid command on a 3550

    what does dir flash: show ?

    Merv, Jun 24, 2007
  6. J.Cottingim Guest

    > I think the only way to solve this issue is to manually power-cycle the
    > switch!?

    Unfortunately I don't believe power-cycling the switch will fix the
    problem.
    If the IOS you are running has the capability to "format nvram", you
    should try that.
    If it doesn't, you'll need to replace the switch. It doesn't happen
    often, but sometimes the NVRAM does go bad.

    Good Luck
    JC

    J.Cottingim, Jun 24, 2007
  7. Guest

    Merv wrote:

    > Perhaps you can provide some additional background info.
    >
    > Is this the first time you have trued to reload this switch with this
    > IOS image
    >
    > Has the image been changed recently, etc

    The image was changed and rebooted 1 week ago. There was no reboot after
    this change.

    Regards,

    Karsten

    , Jun 24, 2007
  8. Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > dir nvram: may not be a valid command on a 3550

    ?

    i think, it`s a valid command:

    ----
    Switch#dir nvram:
    Directory of nvram:/

    382 -rw- 0 <no date> startup-config
    383 ---- 0 <no date> private-config

    393216 bytes total (393164 bytes free)

    ----

    > what does dir flash: show ?

    The output of the flash filesystems looked good, no problem, some space
    free...

    Regards,

    Karsten

    , Jun 24, 2007
  9. Guest

    J.Cottingim wrote:
    >>I think the only way to solve this issue is to manually power-cycle the
    >>switch!?

    > Unfortunately I don't believe power-cycling the switch will fix the
    > problem.
    > If the IOS you are running has the capability to "format nvram", you
    > should try that.
    > If it doesn't, you'll need to replace the switch. It doesn't happen
    > often, but sometimes the NVRAM does go bad.

    The ios didn't allow me to format the nvram. Because

    SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature
    in flash:.

    referenced to the flash filesystem, i formatted the flash and copied a
    new Image on it. But the above message appeared after each reload-try!

    Now, i drove to the rack and power-cycled the switch. Now everything is
    fine again! But i think, it was a very strange error and luckily no
    customers were affected...

    Karsten

    , Jun 24, 2007
  10. Merv Guest

    On Jun 24, 6:46 am, "" <> wrote:
    > J.Cottingim wrote:
    > >>I think the only way to solve this issue is to manually power-cycle the
    > >>switch!?

    > > Unfortunately I don't believe power-cycling the switch will fix the
    > > problem.
    > > If the IOS you are running has the capability to "format nvram", you
    > > should try that.
    > > If it doesn't, you'll need to replace the switch. It doesn't happen
    > > often, but sometimes the NVRAM does go bad.

    > The ios didn't allow me to format the nvram. Because
    >
    > SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature
    > in flash:.
    >
    > referenced to the flash filesystem, i formatted the flash and copied a
    > new Image on it. But the above message appeared after each reload-try!
    >
    > Now, i drove to the rack and power-cycled the switch. Now everything is
    > fine again! But i think, it was a very strange error and luckily no
    > customers were affected...
    >
    > Karsten

    After you power-cycled the switch you could issue the reload command
    without getting the error message?

    I would open a case with the Cisco TAC and find out if this is a known
    problem.

    I would also determine if their is a newer IOS image for the switch.

    Merv, Jun 24, 2007
  11. Guest

    Merv wrote:
    >>referenced to the flash filesystem, i formatted the flash and copied a
    >>new Image on it. But the above message appeared after each reload-try!
    >>
    >>Now, i drove to the rack and power-cycled the switch. Now everything is
    >>fine again! But i think, it was a very strange error and luckily no
    >>customers were affected...
    >>
    >>Karsten

    > After you power-cycled the switch you could issue the reload command
    > without getting the error message?

    Yes, there`s no error message and i get the reload confirmation prompt.

    > I would open a case with the Cisco TAC and find out if this is a known
    > problem.
    >
    > I would also determine if their is a newer IOS image for the switch.

    Now, there is 12.2.25SEE3 running.

    Karsten

    , Jun 24, 2007