Catalyst 3550 & BGP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by neonerz@gmail.com, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    After searching through this newsgroup for a while, I realize this
    subject has been beat to death, but I have a little more specific
    question....

    My company is building out our network inside the NY/NJ metro area. We
    are going to be offering Ethernet over Copper, among other services.
    Since we will be collocated in one of the main hotels in NYC we can get
    IP pretty cheap.

    We were planning on putting in a Catalyst 3550 to do all the switching
    and VLANing for our clients (at least for now). We will have an uplink
    connected to our upstream carrier at 100mbps (again to start out with),
    and will be delivering the clients 10mbps chunks.

    As I said before, we can get the IP pretty cheap inside our Colo, so we
    are planing to expand to about 2 or 3 upstream providers within the
    next couple months.

    We want to be able to get our own IP Blocks from ARIN (which we have
    already requested), and broadcast that out to our upstream providers so
    we can assign our clients those IP's. Also, we want to be able to
    accept and pass along BGP broadcasts from our clients.

    Is this too much for the Catalyst 3550 (running SMI but I don't think
    that makes a difference)? Should we put in a router between our 3550
    and the upstream provider?

    We are probably going to put in a bandwidth shaper (netequalizer.com)
    in between the 3550 and our upstream provider to limit bandwidth on the
    VLANs, but if we need to put a router in, we can put that between the
    3550 and the router if necessary.

    , Aug 9, 2006

  2. You may wish to run this by Cisco's 3550 Expert.

    Mr. Roberto Salazar, CCIE

    Email: bosalaza *at* cisco.com

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory
    http://www.bradreese.com/network-engineer-directory.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs
    http://www.bradreese.com/hot-jobs.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 9, 2006

  3. NO_spamm Guest

    If you are going to connect to multiple ISPs, it means you have your own
    AS? Or will you use a private AS number that all ISPs accept and overwrite.
    Will you do the same towards your customers? As you want to be transit?

    This means that you will run BGP with n neighbors to your n ISPs.
    You will have x neighbor to you x customers. So, you will have n + x BGP
    peerings. I guess you will not get the whole Internet routing table,
    otherwise you will have a memory problem. You may not want to be
    transit for your ISPs. So, you will need to do some "route-mapping"

    So, it depends what you want.

    You can do simple policing regarding the bandwidth. If you need to provide
    different classes of Services, I guess, you may want to step away from the
    3550 and add a dedicated router for the BGP, QoS and have the switch do
    the switching.

    FW

    NO_spamm, Aug 18, 2006