    uplinking lines are at 100mb?

    Thanks for any advice you can give!

    Ingot

    Ingot, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Re: Catalyst 2960's. Chain or star?

    "Ingot" <> writes:
    >Brief Question, if anyone cares to help...

    >If I have a stack of 2960's (about 6), each with two GigE uplink ports...

    >Would it be better to chain the uplink ports together, from one switch to
    >the next to utilize the GigE bandwidth?

    >Or would it be better to run them all in a star configuration off of one
    >central switch to better isolate the traffic, even if that means that the
    >uplinking lines are at 100mb?

    I suppose it helps to know what kind of bandwidth you expect and where?

    The star will give you better resiliency against problems, but will be
    more of a bottleneck on this type of switch if there's alot of
    traffic going from switch to switch.

    The chain will give you bigger internal bandwidth, but one bad switch in the
    chain can bring down your network beyond it.

    Your choice. Either are valid.

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Ingot

    Ingot Guest

    "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message news:454a7f24$0$34561

    > The chain will give you bigger internal bandwidth, but one bad switch in

    the
    > chain can bring down your network beyond it.
    >
    > Your choice. Either are valid.

    Thanks, that's what I needed.

    I was a bit concerned with the chaining, since all of our users tend to
    access the same set of servers primarily. Until now, I've done a star of
    all user switches off of the same switch the servers are on.

    I appreciate the advice.

    Ingot

    Ingot, Nov 3, 2006
  4. Ingot

    Merv Guest

    Re: Catalyst 2960's. Chain or star?

    If you can obtain the budget, you would be best off to dual homew each
    switch to two centrl switches that are both interconnected.

    This topology address both bandwidth and redundancy issues.

    Merv, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Ingot

    Guest

    Re: Catalyst 2960's. Chain or star?

    Ingot:

    If you have the available ports you could do dual or quad channel
    etherchannel in a star configuration. That would give you 200-400mpbs
    from the spoke to the hub, and it would provide some semblance of
    redundancy.

    So lets say you use 4 ports. The hub would need 20 ports for this
    purpose (5 switches X 4 ports). You could then use the gig ports on
    the hub in a similar fashion and have a 2 gigabit uplink to the rest of
    the network.

    , Nov 5, 2006