    Thanks,

    DT

    , May 28, 2005

  2. Hi,

    There is no direct way of showing which ip address is connected to a
    specific port. This is because switches use mac-addresses to differentiate
    traffic flows, not IP adresses.
    There are however some "tricks" you can try to figure out what ip is
    connected to which port.
    On the 2950 console, ping the broadcast address of your network to fill the
    switch's arp table, then query the mac-address table and correllate the arp
    and mac-address-tables to find out what IP address is connected to the port.
    This requires the switch to be in the same subnet as the connected devices
    though.

    Otherwise, have a look at the nearest router to find the relation between
    ip-address and mac-address and look for the mac-address on the switch's
    mac-address table.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, May 28, 2005

  3. Guest

    Erik Tamminga wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > There is no direct way of showing which ip address is connected to a
    > specific port. This is because switches use mac-addresses to differentiate
    > traffic flows, not IP adresses.
    > There are however some "tricks" you can try to figure out what ip is
    > connected to which port.
    > On the 2950 console, ping the broadcast address of your network to fill the
    > switch's arp table, then query the mac-address table and correllate the arp
    > and mac-address-tables to find out what IP address is connected to the port.
    > This requires the switch to be in the same subnet as the connected devices
    > though.
    >
    > Otherwise, have a look at the nearest router to find the relation between
    > ip-address and mac-address and look for the mac-address on the switch's
    > mac-address table.

    Thanks, Erik. This solution works.

    DT

    , May 28, 2005