    cheers,

    Gary

    , Nov 10, 2006

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Nov 10, 2006

  3. writes:
    >Well it has been a long time since i've been here....nice to be back.

    >I have an old catalyst 2924 xl switch that I am trying to configure for
    >my home network.

    >I have run the basic setup and put in the ip, gateway and subnet as
    >well as hostname.

    >I have a cat5 cable running into FasterEthernet 0/1 but I cannot ping
    >the machine, much less ping the network or even my gateway from the
    >switch.

    Is the switch port in shutdown state? What does a 'show int faste 0/1'
    show? Up, down? Are the other ports you plug in in the same VLAN?

    Is the switch defaulted, or some random config from before?

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 10, 2006
  4. ajsingh007 Guest

    Hi,

    Is the PC connected to the same switch...if so is the ip address and
    the mask in the same range as the ip address and subnet mask on the
    switch.

    What does it says when you do sh ip int br on the switch for that port
    where the pc is connected???

    -Aman

    ajsingh007, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Guest

    Well problem solved.

    In my stupidity, I was using straight through cat5, when I needed
    crossover as I was hooking the switch up to my cable/dsl router.

    I guess once i make the move to my linux router i will migrate back to
    straight thru.

    Cheers and thanks for all the help.

    Gary

    ajsingh007 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is the PC connected to the same switch...if so is the ip address and
    > the mask in the same range as the ip address and subnet mask on the
    > switch.
    >
    > What does it says when you do sh ip int br on the switch for that port
    > where the pc is connected???
    >
    > -Aman
    > Doug McIntyre wrote:
    >
    > > writes:
    > > >Well it has been a long time since i've been here....nice to be back.

    > > >I have an old catalyst 2924 xl switch that I am trying to configure for
    > > >my home network.

    > > >I have run the basic setup and put in the ip, gateway and subnet as
    > > >well as hostname.

    > > >I have a cat5 cable running into FasterEthernet 0/1 but I cannot ping
    > > >the machine, much less ping the network or even my gateway from the
    > > >switch.

    > > Is the switch port in shutdown state? What does a 'show int faste 0/1'
    > > show? Up, down? Are the other ports you plug in in the same VLAN?
    > >
    > > Is the switch defaulted, or some random config from before?

    , Nov 14, 2006