    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Paul

    PBS, Mar 30, 2005

  2. "PBS" <> writes:
    >I have a Catalyst 2924 switch. Last night 4 ports (13 through 16) stopped
    >functioning. Their status light are in a solid (non blinking) YELLOW state.
    >Any suggestions?

    Time to send it in on contract?

    Or deal with 4 bad ports if all the rest work.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 30, 2005

  3. PBS

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Mar 30, 2005
  4. PBS

    PBS Guest

    OK, so far there seems to be a consensus that service is needed. Was just
    reviewing the manual, and thought that I'd ask.

    For Port LED status, it says that "Solid Amber" means:

    "Port not forwarding. Port was disabled by management or an address
    violation, or blocked by Spanning-Tree Protocol (STEP)".

    Is it possible that it's not a hardware failure? Any way to verify?

    Thanks,
    Paul

    PBS, Mar 30, 2005
  5. PBS

    Guest

    It appears that the ports may be in errdisable state.

    If so

    conf t
    int fa 0/13
    shut
    no shut

    may fix it.

    , Mar 30, 2005
  6. "PBS" <> writes:
    >OK, so far there seems to be a consensus that service is needed. Was just
    >reviewing the manual, and thought that I'd ask.

    >For Port LED status, it says that "Solid Amber" means:

    > "Port not forwarding. Port was disabled by management or an address
    >violation, or blocked by Spanning-Tree Protocol (STEP)".

    >Is it possible that it's not a hardware failure? Any way to verify?

    Note, the LEDs are multi-color, and amber != yellow. Solid Yellow is
    bad. Solid amber is blocked by something else.

    In my experience (lots of lightning strikes out at MUDs and idiot
    wiring contractors who ran ethernet up under the ridge line), the ports
    tend to blow in units of 4, and solid yellow on all the time, even
    after a power cycle means the switch needs to be repaired/replaced.
    Usually, you'll get the ports failing their POST upon a power cycle,
    and you can check the logs after a boot for that. Not always though.

    If you were blocking for STP, or some other soft error state, it would
    be amber, and a block of all 4 typically wouldn't be all at once.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 30, 2005
  7. PBS

    PBS Guest

    Here are the results for Port 14

    Switch(config-if)#int fa 0/14
    Switch(config-if)#shut
    Switch(config-if)#
    17:55:56: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/14, changed state to
    administ
    ratively down
    Switch(config-if)#no shut
    Switch(config-if)#
    17:56:13: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/14, changed state to up
    17:56:13: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/14, changed state to down

    The last line appears that it goes right back to state down. Ideas?

    Thanks again

    PBS, Mar 30, 2005
  8. PBS

    Chris Marva Guest

    "PBS" <> wrote in news:p0B2e.5$:

    > Hi:
    > I have a Catalyst 2924 switch. Last night 4 ports (13 through 16)
    > stopped functioning. Their status light are in a solid (non blinking)
    > YELLOW state.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    If the eth controllers have gone bad (and we had a ton of the 2900xls do
    this), they won't show up when you do a sho ver. You'll see 20 IEEE Fast
    Ethernet Interfaces (instead of 24). That should erase all doubt.

    Chris Marva, Mar 30, 2005
  9. PBS

    PBS Guest

    Sure enough, just shows 20. Thanks. Paul

    PBS, Mar 30, 2005