catalyst 2900 acls not working

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rick, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    hello,
    I have a host with IP 150.x.y.z which is attached to a catalyst 2950
    with management VLAN 150.x.y.a

    now I Wanted to use the catalyst to write ACL to protect the machine
    behind it.
    I found out I can;t do nothig.
    THe acl are not working so to cehck abotu I wrote something like

    access-list 101 permit ip any any log

    it logs only traffic of 150.x.y. subnet
    this because his IP Address is 150.x.y.a

    So I am thinking now that I will never be able to use
    my 2950 as a packet filter.... with ACL I can only match
    IP which are on the same subnet of the cisco VLAN IP.

    Do I perhaps need "ip route" to have the VLAN management interface
    work as a promiscuos interface doing packet filtering properly ?

    actually catalyst 2950 can't do routing.

    Can I install an enhanced version of IOS for my catalyst 2950
    so that I could be able to do what I Want to do, that is
    writing acl to make it act as a layer 3 packet filter to
    protect machines behind it ?

    which IOS version do I need ?
    I'd prefer for now not to buy a 3550 jsut to protect one machien behind it.
    Can I Do it with 2950 in some way ?

    thank you very much

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 28, 2003